Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thinking about going into residential cabling 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tippnring

Vendor
May 26, 2004
US
I know an electrician who wants to stop pulling phone and cable and just do the electric. He says they will pay $45 per drop and I supply the cable and jacks. Does this sound worth it to you guys?

It depends on distance, complexity of install(ie hard ceilings, new work or old work, etc), cat 3 or cat 5 cable, your relationship with the client, and how they want it terminated on the closet side (ie 110, 66, patch panel). Around here in Baltimore md I charge about $75 to $100 per drop and that's just to terminate on a surface mount biscuit or whatever preexisting blocks they have. If it's a dual drop i may do it for $150, given most of the cost is associated with the labor to install the cable. Most of what we have done so far in residences has been small home networks and even at these rates people are pleased and continue to utilize our services and spread the word to their family and friends. Hope this helps

This would be for new houses only before sheet rock is up. I would use cat 3 for phone with biscuit jacks. They are telling me I could do a house in a few hours and there wouldnt be much drive time. ps Im in the Atlanta area

I would still jack that price up to about $55 to $60. New contruction is always easier and is billed less than a retrofit. Cat 3 costs less then cat 5, so that reduces your cost. Since these are new buildings you may want to suggest slapping in a cat 5 with every voice for future growth, home lan, broad band sharing, shared printing etc. This will most likely also increasee the value of the house and put a little more money in your pocket.

I wish somebody would hand me a turn key residential wiring company. I have been trying for about 3 years now to get one started. I get a few voice drops here and there, a few more cat5 network installs, and we get pc rebuild clean and sweeps 2 or 3 a week but it's just not picking up fast enough.

I would talk to the electrician, it sounds to me like he might be charging them more and paying you less.

Here in the Tampa area they charge about $50 per drop on cat3 for new homes. You may want to look at a trip charge also for anything under 3 drops. Check with your Elec. and see if he actually terminates the Telco side to blocks. Here they did not they just left it for the phone company to hook up which was an additional charge. I do believe if you could hook up with the right builder/electrician that you can make some pretty good money at it.

I wouldnt have to terminate on blocks just the jacks and leave the other end for telco and cable provider. I really do appreciate all you guys insight.

your going to terminate new construction on biscuit jacks ?

what kind of housing is this ?

am I missing something here ?

the way I see it you have at least two trips to the site one to cable and install mud rings

one to put the jack on once the drywall is up.

I can't imagine any builder allowing phone wires to terminate to a surface mount biscuit jack for new construction I think you better clarify that

I should have been more specific I guess. By saying "Biscuit Jack" I should have said "Just your run of the mill normal phone and cable outlet for a house." Nothing fancy just phone and cable.

I am assuming open home (no drywall, just rafters/studs)- if they provide a lockable container for material storage, I would say go for it.

You can improve your design as you go for max profit at min cost.

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
Profit Developer.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back