Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thinclient Recommendation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmcp2k

IS-IT--Management
Aug 29, 2005
US
Hello,

Can you please recommend a good thinclient to use to connect to our citrix server. I have never use a thinclient before so i don't know how it would communicate with the citrix server.

I was looking at HP that has windows xp embedded on their thinclient. How do windows xp embedded connect to the citrix server? Do i need to setup a server for windows xp embedded?

Sorry for so many questions, i have never setup a thinclient before.

thank you

Do i need to setup a server for windows xp embedded?
No. Nothing special has to be done on the Citrix Server to allow connections from XP Embedded. Our environment has HP and WYSE thin clients, some XP Embedded others Windows CE, other Wyse. The Server doesn't really care. it just offers different options on the thin client itself.

We bought an Embedded XP thin client from HP just to check it out and I haven't really found an advantage to it. Get the HP t5520. It has built-in VNC.

Wyse is probably the best knwon Neoware also do some.

[blue] A perspective from the other side!![/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Why not just use the citrix ICA client? I dont like the new one for PS4.0 so I use the older ones from MF XPe and have no problems.

We also use the HP thin client line. Bot the T5510 and T5520. They are not XPe but CE. They are about 100 to 200 bucks cheaper. They have a built in citrix client, RDP client and web browser. You just setup a connection to your app or server and it works. We also use NFUSE, so our users can use the built in web browser which automatically connects to our Intranet, then they can login and run any available citrix apps. The thin client is smart enough to launch the citrix client when needed.

The thin client that would be your best fit really depends on your needs. The WYSE are easy to deploy and very intuitive to configure but they offer very limited peripheral support. For example, we used the 3235 and there was one floppy drive that worked with it. When that drive was no longer made we were in limbo until WYSE came out with the firmware upgrade to support a new floppy drive. I ran into the same issues with the wireless support. Of course if you don't need these extras then it shouldn't matter. I evaluated an HP thin client with XP embedded and found that while it did do a lot more than other thin clients, the configuration and management was much more difficult (less intuitive). We ended up switching to the base model Igel (Compact 32 or something like that). Deployment is easy (out of the box to fully configured in 10 minutes- that's counting the 2 times it has to boot). Support was great. They offer Linux based OS as well as XP embedded models. We used the Linux based and found the management console very easy to use. You can set profiles and assign them to specific clients, you can remote into them at the thin client level to troubleshoot issues. I would definitely recommend the Igel over anything else we've used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back