Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thick Net Installation Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shisya

IS-IT--Management
Sep 22, 2000
IN
Hello,

I am trying a thicknet cable installation.
The cable is 400 mtrs,It has one copper core and two braids.I have terminated the cable at both ends with 50 Ohm Terminator.On the terminator I have jointed upper two meshes.
When I remove the terminator at one end it gives the measure of 54 Ohms between the braids and the core.Which I think is OK is the other terminaor in about 400 Mtrs across.
Then I Installed D Link Piercing Tap Unit(Model 850).The central Pin (Probing assembley) touches the copper core and the taps (or Clamps) puncture the outer briad.
I have checked with Multimeter the connectivity .It's OK i.e coper core is with Probing assembly and briads with Taps.And do not short with each other.
Then Through a LOCALLY made AUI drop cable
I connect it to DLink 16 port Hub with AUI port.The LED on the Tranciever(PTU) lights up.I connect UTP (CAT5) cable to a computer and to the Hub.I did this at both Ends

Now when I ping the other computer only one out of six or seven Replies come back.Rest are "Request Timed Out".I tried the same with 4 Mtr of same cable.In that case one out of three replies come back.Please tell me what can be the fault and what can be done to diagonise it.I think the drop cabe may be wrong (it has 4 pairs and the ground shield

Any Help would be grandly appreciated
Regards
Sishya

There are a couple of things to check here. First, you should make sure that the outside of the terminator is grounded at one end of the thick ethernet cable. Second, you need to make sure that your taps are placed on, or close to, the black rings that should be on the thick-net cable. Third, check between the center pin and shield pins at each tap. You should have between 25 and 28 ohms. And last.... but not least, Check your transceivers. There may be a switch setting called Heartbeat. Make sure that heartbeat is disabled.

Thanks for the Reply Keith
Since I can't reach u direct Am posting here
The Drop Cables were Faulty and finding the right ones solved the problem
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back