Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

There's so much! How do you keep your confidence?! 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2005
I've gotten through school already and am working on my tests. I have a print out on my refrigerator outlining every FRICKIN' Microsoft Cert and what tests you need to complete to get them. Microsoft certs are my immediate goal of many, and even though I'm close, it always seems like the goals are SO FAR AWAY. Especially when you want to get everything in the book like I do. I mean, I'd even like to get CCIE and I know that's virtually impossible, especially when it's only good for like three years.

So here's my question: When you sit back and think about all the tests and all the hours upon hours, weeks upon weeks, even years upon years it might take you, what is it that drives the rest of you to keep going?

It seems so overwhelming sometimes I wonder if I ever stand a chance of making it to the other side, especially when the road keeps growing bigger every day...there is so much to know, and more of it all the time.

The force that drives me to keep learning is to be the best at what I do.

I would narrow down your focus. Having all the certs is cool yeah, but what area are you going to go into?

Having your MCAD won't mean anything if you are a Network Engineer. And you CCIE won't mean anything if you are a DBA. Getting certs is good, as long as the certs you are getting are releated to the field you are in (or are going in to).

Myself I'm a DBA, so I've go an MCSA and an MCDBA. I'll be getting my MCSE shortly. After that I'll have the certs that I need. I'll have no need for a CCIE, or CCNA or MCAD (unless I decide to become a progammer) so I won't be working towards those tests.

Now if I decide that I want to change career paths then I'll look towards the tests in the new area that I want to work into. With where I'm at now in my career I don't see that happening.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(Not quite so old any more.)

I would agree with Mr.Denny, narrow down your focus and break them down into short term and long term goals. You have to start somewhere, look to your strengths and build up them first; then pursue new areas.

exilian
MCSA/MCSE (2K3)
Sec+, Net+, A+

My problem is that I like everything, so one area doesn't interest me more than others, really they all interest me. I like the idea of being the "jack of all trades" that everyone comes to and wants to ask questions. I guess that inspirations comes from one of the instructors I had, he was MCS and CC everything. I doubt there is a lot he doesn't know and he has that confidence level that you can SEE and FEEL just exuding from him. He's the kind of person who walks into the room and you know he's important, not because of a title, but because you know that he knows what he knows and you don't have a lot of room to argue with it.

I know in the near and immediate future I want to get both MCSA and MCSE, as well as CCNA and S+...I've already gone through school for all, it's just a matter of piecing everything I've learned together so I can make sense of it and remembering all of it the way I need to. That's the part that gets me...I know it but I forget I know it because there's so many tiny details. And of course if you don't work on it every day you're toast :( At work we have Win2K servers but I'm trying to certify on Win2k3, so there are a little bit of differences. I've just gotten a Win2k3 Net simulator, and I also have some lessons on my computer that I watch. I have a lot that I work with, it's just, WHERE TO START?! lol. I have so much material I want to cover and I get brain overload.

I'm a jack of all trades person as well. Personally I find that my knowledge gained from years of experience, my Information systems degree and my MCSA is more than enough for what I do. It's very rare that I'm not able to find something out from a certification training manual that I can't work out through logic or using google.

I'm doing the MCDBA only because I'm having to learn SQL Server as I use it in my job, barely a week goes by without something SQL related needing doing and I will get a payrise on gaining my MCSE, hence the reason for doing it.

However, the bits of the MCSE I'm doing now (293 - which doubles as my MCDBA elective), 294 and either 297 or 298) aren't relevant to my responsibilities as there are people responsible for infrastructure and active directory design.

Most of the development that I do is in MS Access, so all of the .Net development certs that Microsoft currently offer aren't relevant to my job or what my employers expect me to do. I can't foresee that changing in the near future.

John

tygressjanie,

If you're going through the MCSE core exams in the order 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, each exam builds on the earlier ones, and they will expect you to know (for example) DHCP Options (a 70-291 topic) for 70-293.

I find that the MS Press books are compartmentalized well enough that a chapter on, say, DHCP will have enough detail to be able to fully digest that topic without having to refer to other chapters or other books.

The 70-290 and 70-291 exams seem to be the most difficult, but also the ones that cover the most ground. If you know all the topics in these well, then the other MCSE exams will be easier.

If you plan to persue certifications other than MS, some of this knowledge will come in handy. For instance, DHCP and IP subnetting will probably come up on Cisco exams.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

When I started, i got a deal with my employer to pay me 2 passages per exam, and i hoped to pass 4 max for the MCSA 2000.

My real goal was to have an MCP.
When i got my first one, 2kpro, i got into the frame of mind for passing the 3 others, all touching topics i knew and used in day to day work. I sat at 2 week intervals 2kserver, 70-218 & SQL Admin...

I got them all first time, was MCSA 2000, and had 4 MCPs paid for and still to pass.

My certifs were to change job, which i then managed to do.

And now I have used the other 4 to upgrade my mcsa 2000 to 2003 and finish off wth MCSE 2003.

Take your time, the time you need.
Aim high, but don't aim for the top in one go... there is no exam that gets you everyting in one go.

Decide which High End Certifs you want and work out a track that means one exam covers different certifs.
Its true everyone says 290+291 are real nasties...
I didnt know this before, but i didnt sit them as i got MCSA 2000 first.

Sit a client exam (210/270)
then a server exam (215/290)
take it from there, and aim for MCSA 2000 first.
One exam later (easy!) you can then be MCSA 2003.
then you've only got 3 left for MCSE 2003.

Check the certif planner once you pass an exam, and it'll show you which mcps are credits for which certifs...
2 birds with one stone ;-)

Aftertaf
________
Regain control of your PC, at If you break your hard drive, it'll be DPlank's fault

I admire your enthusiasum but I'd have to say play it cool. Don't panic!

I would like to go nuts and get the full set but the cost would be to high in terms of time and effort and I'd end up not using part of that knowledge gained.

Go for the core ones you need and then build a little more in each year. I've achieved MCAD and now I am aiming for MCDBA.

Dazed and confused

I agree with Skittle, contentrate on what you need to do your job, if you want to be a network engineer then concentrate on the exams needed for that kind of work, there isn't any point on doing Macromedia courses (for example) just because it's nice to have them.

I have been working in IT since 1997, in that time I have gained my Novell CNE, Cisco CCNA and various MS certs however I only recently attained my 2003 certifications, prior to that I only had my NT4 MCSE, I didn't need my 2000 or 2003 whilst I was working but have recently decided to update.

I don't use my Novell or Cisco certifications any more. I recently had the opportunity to update both my MS and Cisco certs (CCNA and CCNP) but after spending 2 months concentrating on my MS certs decided to put off my Cisco training. Only do the training that you will need for the short term, get the experience and if you require the training for other certs then do it but don't waste your time or money on certifications that will go to waste.

Tygressjanie,

This is a male-dominated business, and as women, we are faced with more to prove than our male counterparts... Trust me, I've been in this business for eons... When I first got into the business, it was a LOT harder to get in the door; we had to know twice as much as our male counterparts, and get paid half as much... Luckily for you, things have changed, and I.T. is much more "female friendly" and the obstacles are not like they used to be...

I guess I said all that to say that you have to LOVE this job; eat, drink, breathe, and live it, otherwise you'll get burned out... And it doesn't matter that you can't find your focus right now; you will, believe me... And when you do, you'll have to make yourself the best at it... Try not to be O.K. at everything; rather, be good at a few things, and the BEST at one thing... That's how I did it... I am MCAD, but not the best at it; I don't suck at it, but let's say that I would not take a job as a developer... I am a MCDBA, but again, I wouldn't take a job doing it... I am also a CCDP, and THAT is my niche... That's where I flourished; that's what I LOVE...

I know I gave you some stress when you first made your appearance on the forum, and for that, I apologize, but if you don't remember anything I tell you, remember this: Getting focused and certified will not be easy, but nothing worth it ever is...

Peace,
Toni L. [yinyang]

Windows reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

tygressjanie,

Another thing to consider is that without experience, some of your certfications might not open the doors that you'd like.

I was in school for IT certifications (MCSE, Cisco, CompTIA) for a year, and they love to tell you how much money MCSE's and CCIE's can earn, but in reality, without the experience, it's difficult to get hired for that kind of salary.

I've had plenty of telephone interviews for SysAdmin jobs, but haven't been offered a position at any of them yet, as I have no experience using my certifications on the job.

Once you manage to land an IT job on the basis of your enthusiasm and your skills, you'll probably find that your other training will be a bonus, but merely having the certifications alone won't always get you the job.

Find a job, or at least a job description, that you think you'll enjoy and focus your certifications around that. Once you have the job, you can focus on the certifications that you need to move up in the world.

As someone else here (whose name escapes me) has frequently said, "Certifications are a journey, not a destination." I've found that advice to be inspiring.

Wishdiak

I would like to impart one particular bit of advice and I feel that this is really important.

Don't over do the certifications if you don't have the experience. It's all well and good having alphabet spaghetti soup after your name but if you can't do the basic things and don't have the experience to back them up you're more likely to do yourself harm than good with all those certifications.

I have found that with experience comes confidence.

Thanks everyone for responding to my post. I really appreciate all your help and ideas. In response to Wishdiak about getting a job, I am already in a job where I'm using my certs. I actually got that "break of a lifetime" type of deal. I interviewed for a full-time position, which they gave to someone else but they really liked me and offered me a part-time position to let me start getting some experience. Turns out the full-time guy didn't show so they asked if I wanted to work some extra hours to see how I did, and I did just fine, so they offered me the full-time job. I've been at it for a little over four months now and haven't had any problems. My boss is very laid back and AWESOME and he just wants it to work...as long as it's working, he's happy, lol, so that gives me extra study time if I need it too.

At any rate, I am trying to go through 291 right now to see how that looks. I'm sure I'm a long way off from test ready, but we'll see. I just wish Microsoft tests were like Comptia tests! :)

I guess I don't have too much else to say really, I just wanted to thank everyone, your ideas really helped me figure out what to focus on first and made me realize that I just can't do so much at once even if I really want to. I need to stop putting so much on my shoulders and give myself a break :)

Thanks again!

tygressjanie,

It's good that you had an opportunity like that, and that you're able to get experience while your studing for exams.

If you're planning to take the 70-291, then you may as well focus on MS exams for a while. Set a goal with Microsoft certification, complete it, and then if you still have the drive to persue other certifications, pick a track and repeat.

Wishdiak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back