Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

There must be code to create Data Dictionary of currentdb 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

wescollins

Programmer
Oct 15, 2000
US
I am looking for code or a product that can build a data dictionary from my current database. It would be nice if I could send data on all objects to a table that I can use to create reports. Thanks in advance. [sig][/sig]

wescollins,

I do not know of any built in capability to do htis in Ms. Access. Most of the common information is available in the MSys* set of tables maintained by Ms. Access (they are normally "Hidden", so you need to select "Show hidden objects" under tools, Startup. Many of the fields in these tables are obswcure, however you can figure out the meaning of many of the entries by inspection.

This, however, does not provide the traditional "data dictionary". If this (traditional datadictionary) is what you really want, tt is easy to 'roll your own', just loop through the various documents collections, drilling down to whatever level you need. The few pitfalls in this aproach involve figuring out which properties are not applicable (available) for the various objects, and trapping for the errors appropiatly.

I have done this exercise in the past, but - unfortunatly do not have the code. It took about six hours to get the basic mechanisim up and running the first time, but this was a long time ago and I believe it should only take three to four hours - starting from scratch for an experienced programmer.

[sig]<p>MichaelRed<br><a href=mailto:mred@duvallgroup.com>mred@duvallgroup.com</a><br>There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over[/sig]

If you are using MS Access 97 or later, do the following:
1. Menu Tools; &quot;Analyze&quot;, &quot;Documenter&quot;.
2. Select all of the objects and options that you want to document, then press OK to docuemnt.
3. Once you see the preview, select menu File; &quot;Save As Table&quot;. This will create a somewhat unrelational table of the objects you documented. You can the use query to manipulate the data as you need. [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back