Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

There are 3 computers in a home net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2003
US
There are 3 computers in a home network. Computer A is XP Pro with a wired NIC, B is also XP Pro with a wireless NIC and C is w2k Pro with a wired NIC. Both A and B are belong to the same workgroup and w2k is domain laptop used at home and work.

All three computers can ping each other by ip and name. They can access each other’s shared drives by using net use command (I can map A’s drive and access any resources on A). B and C can browse each other without any problem. But, none of them can browse A in My Network Places, and A can’t even see itself in the workgroup. ICFs are disabled and no other firewall running on all computers. TCP/IP is only protocol for all computers.

Sounds like master browser issue. Nbtstat display A is mast browser. I also tried to make B as master browser, but still the same problem. Any suggestions?

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network and How to at

What IP addresses do the three systems have?

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

Do you have an internet connection on any of the machines?

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

1. Critical: WRV54G has updated firmware?
wrv54G_fw_2.10_US.zip 12-16-2003

2. Netdiag run with all options checked on Machine A, and all test pass?

3. Do a local port scan:

. from Machine A
. from Machine B to Machine A

I use this freeware tool, "LSP-Local Port Scan"

It must show at least port 135 open from both tests.

Also, does Machine A have an active VPN connection? If so, could you test with it disabled?

1. Last time when I worked on WRV54G to setup VPN, some one told the WRV54G firmware is not good. So, I will try to upgarde it.
2. I tried to run netdiag last night but it hasn't be installed. This is not my system and I accessed it remotely. I may have him to install netdiag.
3. I just ran LSP and both A and B have 135, 139 and 445 port open.

I find he is using space in the workgroup name. Maybe that is the problem. I will post it bak.

Here are the more details.

c:\>net view \dell
Shared resources at \dell
Dell Dimension 8300 Intel Pentium 4 at 2.8 GHz with HT Tech
Share name Type Used as Comment
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I386 Disk
Printer Print hp photosmart 7350 series
Printer2 Print HP LaserJet 6P
SharedDocs Disk
The command completed successfully.

C:\>nbtstat -n
Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.104] Scope Id: []
NetBIOS Local Name Table
Name Type Status
---------------------------------------------
DELL <00> UNIQUE Registered
My FAMILY <00> GROUP Registered
DELL <20> UNIQUE Registered
My FAMILY <1E> GROUP Registered
My FAMILY <1D> UNIQUE Registered
..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered

Rules for Netbios Workgroup and Computer Names:

1. Be descriptive but not clever.

2. Workgroup and computer names can be up to 15 characters long.

3. Workgroup and computer names may not contain blank spaces.

4. If the network has a server, Domain Controller, such as Windows NT Server or Windows 2000 Server, than the workgroup name must be identical to the name of the domain that the computer logs into.

5. Don’t use any “funny” characters in computer or workgroup names. All caps is the safest choice. WORKGROUP is a good workgroup name.

The Resource Kit for Windows 98 states that the following characters may be used in workgroup and computer names:

! @ # $ % ^ & ( ) - _ ' { } . ~

However, Microsoft Knowledge Base Article ID: Q250927, How to Configure a Peer Network states that the following characters should not be used in computer and workgroup names:

/ \ * , . &quot; @

There is also a problem using alternative workgroup names with lower case characters.

Help any, Bob?

Second note:

Since Machine C is a Domain member off-site, life would be easiest for that user to give the Workgroup the Domain name.

As posted yesterday, the workgroup name is My Family with a space. So, last night, I had him to re-name it but still the same problem. Here are the update

C:\>nbtstat -n
Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.104] Scope Id: []
NetBIOS Local Name Table
Name Type Status
---------------------------------------------
DELL <00> UNIQUE Registered
MYLAN <00> GROUP Registered
DELL <20> UNIQUE Registered
MYLAN <1E> GROUP Registered
MYLAN <1D> UNIQUE Registered
..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered

This listing is fine. You have a workstation (DELL) that is the Master Browser (..__MSBROWSE_) for a single Workgroup (MYLAN) that has suitable endpoint (1D) and is subject to elections (1E).

If Workstation C was being identified properly there should be two entries at least for (MYDOMAIN) and there are not. If B & C can see each other, it sounds like C is declaring itself the Master Browser as well in (MYDOMAIN).

Assuming that Netbios over TCP/IP is checked in the Advanced Properties of TCP/IP, WINS tab; LMOSTS or WINS server is not defined in any workstation; Client for Microsoft Workstation is installed on all; Computer names are unique for all; your choices are:

. Stop the Computer Browser service on C; or,
. Use LMHOSTS on all

I must be missing something here. I don't see how these other two computers can access the domain laptop at all, without having user accounts in that domain. Was there an earlier post I missed? If the workgroup computers are not part of the domain they shouldn't be able access anything. Being part of a Domain means that laptop computer is subject to a Domain Controller that uses Active Directory to authenticate users, permissions, etc.

I will watch for more posts on this, I am interested in the outcome.

1. Name resolution and sharing are not issues here because other computers can ping the name, map the problem computer shared folder by using net use \\dell command and they can access any resources on the problem XP.
2. It has the same issue with or without C that is domain laptop.
3. Let me re-explain the issue again:

The shared and problem XP computer doesn’t appear in My Network Places (any computers' My Network Places) and the computer even can’t browse itself in My Network Places (even you can map and access it).

If I search the problem XP computer and right-click>explorer, the computer will appear under My Network Place>Entire Network>Mylan (this is workgroup name) in the left panel but not the right panel. If I double-click on the problem computer (dell), I can browse any resources have been shared.

Now, the question is why the computer doesn’t appear on the original My Network Places? Why doesn’t it appear on the right panel if doing searching/explorer? To make it clear, here is what looks like:

If opening normal My Network Places, you have (gateway is another XP and dell is problem XP)

Left…………………………………..………Right
Entire Network
|_mylan (high light here)……………………..gateway
|_gateway

If do searching/explorer, then you will have

Left………………………………..…………..Right
Entire Network
|_mylan (high light here)………………………gateway
|_gateway
|_dell

Any suggestions?

Very odd one.

. Ask again or check remotely that Client for Microsoft Networks is enabled, and not just File and Print Services.

. It sounds like a case where Service Pack 1 was installed, and then System Restore was used to a point previous to SP1 to revert the system and solve a problem. I would reinstall Service Pack 1.

. I am sure you checked all services, including TCP/IP Netbios Helper, but if you have disabled the Computer Browsing service, re-enable. It would be better to make registry entries on this, and Computer C to discourage their promotion as Master Browsers rather than stop the Computer Browser.

. I would be happier if you removed PC-Illan, or reconfigured it so that there was no firewall component at all (not just disabled, removed for all interfaces).

. I would be sorely tempted to replace the NIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back