Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Word of the Year is "truthiness"

Status
Not open for further replies.
//snicker//

Muffin top
Whale tale

LOL!!

Now, the "holiday tree" should have been added to the "We're anal and litigious and offended at ANYTHING having to do with YOUR holiday" list.

Jump the Couch" is my favorite - I thought it came from the 2 part Happy Days Hawaii episode when Fonzie actually jumped a shark on a surfboard (with the leather jacket on, of course).

mary808,

You're right. "Jump the Couch" is a reference to Jump the Shark.
jumptheshark.com said:
It’s a moment. A defining moment when you now that your favorite television program has reached its peak. That instant that you know from now on…it’s all downhill. Some call it the climax. We call it jumping the shark
That website, and that term, does indeed refer to the fonz jumping the shark. At that moment, there could be no doubt that the show was just over. It's so much better to leave the audience wanting more, like M*A*S*H did.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

A defining moment when you now that your favorite television program has reached its peak. ... Some call it the climax.

There is also another good word for this, "culmination". Especially when you refer to a book, a movie, or television show.

or apex, apogee, etc :)

"That time in Seattle... was a nightmare. I came out of it dead broke, without a house, without anything except a girlfriend and a knowledge of UNIX."
"Well, that's something," Avi says. "Normally those two are mutually exclusive."
-- Neal Stephenson, "Cryptonomicon"

'Truthiness' is somewhere between self-deception and lying. It should not be tolerated, nor allowed to get the 'odour of truth'.

Beginning as a hostile criticism means little. So did 'SuperMac' for British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan, and 'Iron Lady' for Thatcher.

------------------------------
An old man [tiger] who lives in the UK

mary808 said:
"Jump the Couch" is my favorite - I thought it came from the 2 part Happy Days Hawaii episode when Fonzie actually jumped a shark on a surfboard (with the leather jacket on, of course).

Jumping the shark is a term that loosely means "dragging a dead show through the mud, long after it is dead". Fonzie jumping a shark (and yes, I saw the original broadcast!) was a strrrrrreeeeeettcccchhhh for the Happy Days' producers who were desperately trying to keep their ratings up.

Jumping the couch is a term that Tom Cruise assisted in creating when he went on Oprah, lost his frikkin' mind, and jumped on Oprah's couch while professing his "love" for Katie Holmes.

Dollie,

That reminds me of a comic I saw in the paper this weekend. It took a little digging, but I found it online.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

(But if the movie they had in mind was War of the Worlds, it would have taken a lot more than a new lead actor to make it a good movie. Like a new script.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back