Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Web is Dead, Long Live the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully, this will help people understand that the World Wide Web and the Internet are NOT the same thing, and never have been.

It is a good read.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I'm betting that the word of the year for 2010 will be "apps." Seems to have been overused enough this year. [wink]

Is it just me who sees the irony in reading this info in a browser??

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

>Hopefully, this will help people understand ...

Reading the comments to the article it would appear that many people remain challenged when it comes to this.

Is web usage less than it was? Or is it just that other functions have been growing faster recently?

------------------------------
An old man [tiger] who lives in the UK

strongm said:
>Hopefully, this will help people understand ...

Reading the comments to the article it would appear that many people remain challenged when it comes to this.

No kidding. Like the opener:

The article is misleading, and the graphic grossly so – comparing apples to oranges: FTP, eMail, newsgroups? None of those employ http!!

Except you moron, the graphic clearly is: Proportion US Internet Traffic.

Not HTML. Internet traffic. The overall traffic regardless of protocol.

Sheeesh.

and: "So while the graph looks like the end of the internet"

It does???? It does not look that way to me.

Mind you I agree the graphic is slanted (literally?), and in some ways meaningless. Except again it clearly states traffic, not individual uses. In a sense it is accurate as it is becoming clear that email (if defined as SMTP traffic) is declining.

However, "email" - as defined as personal communication - most certainly is not.

Is Facebook a web site, or an "app"?

Someone please define app for me.

unknown

To a rank outsider, the graphic looks like the sort of rubbish produced by magazines who want sales, SALES, MORE HITS, MORE READERS!!! and don't really care whether what they are pedalling actually reflects truth in a vaguely professional way.

For example, e-mail traffic is shown in decline, but I'm pretty sure more e-mails are sent today than in 1990. It's absolutely obvious that e-mails would be a smaller proportion of total traffic as, frankly, I can't type fast enough to compete with videos.

Percentages over time are completely meaningless when the total over the same time has changed as dramatically as electronic communication has in the last 20 years.

Incidentally, no doubt it will all change again. I don't like to ask too many questions about how electronic gadgetry can be so very cheap in the shops (near-slavery conditions where it's made?) or what happens to it when I throw it away. And perhaps one day someone will ask the question "Do I really want to know if 'Simon just did a big burp!!'?", and tweeting will collapse in a puff of triviality. There has to be something more meaningful in life.

And why should most people care?
We get so worried about people getting trivial details in our "trade" wrong, that it just makes us look like a bunch of geeks.
Technolgy should be invisible to the end user, if they have to get used to technical terms and facts to use a product, then we are failling.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

I'm not that concerned about people outside of our industry getting the terms wrong; I'm concerned about people inside our industry getting the terms wrong.

When IT professionals get the terms wrong, it does not make us look like geeks; it makes us look like fools who don't know what we're talking about. And in all honesty, those who don't know the different really don't know what they're talking about.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

It just goes to show what I think everybody secretly knows... we are still in the "wild west" stage of the internet.

As for the advertising quandary they talked about, the advertising industry cut their own throats with that one... Memories of supporting users stuck in a hell of pop ups reminds me that too many users will not click on anything that they weren't looking for

Is this the "internet"? It all seems so wrapped up in a web of illusions. It's the Interweb!
Ennui, it's just an app away.

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

I fort it was the t'interwebnet. Was I wrong?

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

I thought it was the wibblywobblyweb?

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

One trivial fact, one of a few abriviations that takes longer to say than the actual words it replaces (I can't even think of any others)

Robert Wilensky:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back