Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The user account doesnt have permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbay

Technical User
Oct 13, 2003
GB
Hi

i have inherited a database, created by someone else, that i have been told to update but when i try to open it a get a message "The current user account doesnt have permission to convert or enable this database". i have searched the forum & faqs for this but seem to be getting nowhere, do i take it that i will never be able to open this?

It sounds like a problem I am having with some of my users. I think that the database was created in an older version of Access and you are trying to open it using a newer version.

As far as I know (which isn't very far) you need to convert the DB first, but you can't do that unless you have the relevant permissions.

I think you need to have the username and password for the administrator of that database.

Then again, I could be totally wrong!

(You using access security with a MDW?)

The DB was probably created in Acc97.. and I guess you are trying to opening it using Acc2K?

Try opening on a PC that is not connected to the network thus not looking for the system.mdw (or run wrkgrp admin and remove your PC from the workgroup).

- or -

Get your DBA to convert it for you :D

------------------------
Hit any User to continue

I am using access 2000 but i dont get as far as converting or anything else, i have even tried to import into a new database and it still tells me that i do not have permissions

As per my comments.. you are using acc2k.. the DB wa probably created in Acc97.. get your DBA to convert it for you then try opneing it up again :D

------------------------
Hit any User to continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back