Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Update service failed to update the .dat file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoorna11

Technical User
Oct 5, 2006
US
Hello,

I have a Exchange Server 5.5 and I have problem with updating McAfee GroupShield and getting this message.

"The Update service failed to update the .dat file"

I think I have to updat the .Dat file manualy but I don't know from where I can download and what version.

Need some help and advise.

thanks

This has probably corrected itself, i.e. it's not unusual for the update to fail and then pass on the next update cycle.
There are three dat files that Groupshield uses: 'clean.dat', 'names.dat' and 'scan.dat'. If your clients are updating ok at the pc level then you have the latest versions of them already in a location 'c:\program files\common files\network associates\engine'. Alternatively just do a search on the hard disk for one of the files. Similarly for the location of the files in Groupshield. It's just a case of copying them over and then do a stop/start on the Groupshield service. This is how I remember working around this issue from time to time.
You can also download the dats from Mcafee's website providing you have a valid license.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back