Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The trival task of upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.

wreikun

Technical User
Apr 23, 2002
US
Apache 1.3.26 just got released and I was wondering what all you pros do out there when a new version gets released. Do you immediately upgrade your Apache to the newest version? I currently have Apache 1.3.24 in the /usr/local/apache1 directory. If I wanted to upgrade to the latest version, do I have to install everything from scratch? and also reinstall all my third party modules so work with my new version of apache? I would like to know what the common procedure is for when a new version of apache gets released, be it apache version 1 or 2. Thanks!

Hi mate,

I personally install the new version on a different unused port of the same machine then configure that until it is working to my liking.

Then, you simply need to change over the ports and if you do have any problems, the older version is still there and your server can be quickly recovered.

Hope this helps Wullie

how do you safely uninstall the previous version after the latest version is working fine?

Thanks for your quick response.

I am using solaris 2.6, do I just use pkgrm? but am not sure which package is the aparche package since I did not install the old version in the first place.

one more question they are two
source files of apache 1.3.26 that is aparche 1.3.26.tar.gz and aparche 1.3.26.tar.gz.asc which one do I download? and what does aparche 1.3.26.tar.gz.asc do?

Thanks in Advance

advice for a windows user would be welcome too :) -- cut here --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back