Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricehead

Programmer
Jun 22, 2003
US
Ok, I have tried everything, from using norton uninstall programs to manually editing registry entries to prevent this problem. Everytime I try to install a program (such as norton 2003, XP powertools, etc) I get this error message from windows installer. Everywhere I look it says this is due to an incomplete uninstall of a previous version of norton AV.
I recently put XP pro on this machine (on top of XP home), and I just dont get it.
What is wrong with the computer? I have tried everything, from setting admin policies, etc, nothing helps. Someone on here mentioned they are installing XP on their machine and someone else told them to make sure they uninstall norton first. But, I think I did this.
I am so pissed off!!! There must be a secret!!
Dell Dimension 4500S, 1.8 Ghz, 256MB, XP Pro

Yes, I have done everything that Norton calls for at least 3-4 times, including the manual registry editing. And the only user account on my computer is Administrator. In general, I am fairly adept at troubleshooting a problem, and I have done everything I could find online. What I am looking for is further assistance above and beyond what the layperson could find on Google.

Hi Ricehead,
These kind of uninstall probs seem fairly difficult to solve. You will have to do some of the following:
You are basically looking for Norton files on your pc. left over from the previous install, try Reg cleaner4.3 use the extended uninstall menu..or try scouring c/windows/system32 & c/win../sys32../drivers check each .dll find any to do with norton and clean them.
In order to cross reference which files belong to Norton, place the install cd in, and browse it, sometimes the driver caches are visible, print a list out of them and track the buggers down.. good luck!

Start, Run, regsvr32 msi.dll
Start, run, scf /SCANNOW

that first command was successful, the second said "windows cannot find 'scf'"
any ideas?

nm, i figured it out... just have to locate my XP pro cd (it is requesting it), which might be hard to do...

yes, thanks for the clarification... still need to find my XP pro cd before it can continue

Ok, I did it, but I still have the same error message when I try to install programs!!
I am so frustrated...
Any more ideas?

Just a shot in the dark, but have you deleted it in the prefetch folder.

Please let us know if the advice we give is of some help.
Feedback will benefit all
Dave

Feedback...
I have run all of the cleanup programs Symantec prescribes for this problem, as well as done the manual removal of registry entries and files that aren't removed during uninstall (as per Symantec's advice). I have tried the "regsvr32 msi.dll" and the "sfc /SCANNOW", restarted, and still got the same message when trying to install anything: "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation"
The prefetch thing I am unaware of, could you give me some specifics?
Also, I do not have an option to log on as administrator, only as my name (which says administrator under it). But, when I go to User Accounts in control panel, I see administrator separate from my name. But, my name is part of the administrator group.
Hope this helps...
Thanks!

Note: if you are in an AD Domain you likely need elevated priviliges. Even if you are not, you likely need elevated priviliges if installing the package for all users as opposed to just yourself as user.

The InstallShield Advice:

Knowledge Base article Q105063 HOWTO: Installing an Application For All Users on Windows NT/2000/XP.

Microsoft Windows Installer Advice:

259459 HOWTO: Allow Users Who Are Not Administrators to Install MSI Packages

227181 How to Manage Windows Installer Local Policies

305574 HOWTO: Run a Custom Action with Local System Permissions in an .msi Package

THAT DID IT!!! THANK YOU!
It was article 227181, the local machine "disablemsi" policy was set to 2, which disabled the installer totally.
Thanks so much, what a relief!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back