Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The strangest Problem Ever Posted In Tektips - I'm Certain

Status
Not open for further replies.

fueonue

Technical User
Mar 18, 2009
US
When I sit down and get up from my desk-chair. I frequently hear the computer alert sound that a device was just plugged in (as if a usb device was just plugged in).

The beep is DIRECTLY related to the sitting down and getting up out of my chair. I can reproduce this.

I have no camera in my monitor.

when I sit down, no part of body touches any part of the pc or the monitor, or any cords. My butt touches the leater of the chair, and that is it.

So, does ANYONE have a CLUE what could be going on?

Or is there any way of seeing a record/log of beeps that the computer iniatiated so that I can see what application or device is beeping at me at that moment???

Is it April Fools already?

When you stand in front of a analog radio, does it distort? Have you had any metal plates or pins surgically inserted into you from a broken bone?

Have you ruled out a massive static electricity buildup from yourself? Is the computer in a carpeted area? If so move it to a non-carpeted area. Then discharge yourself, remove all clothing, power up the pc and try sitting in your chair and see if it happens again.

"You don't know what you got, till its gone..
80's hair band Cinderella or ode to data backups???

Loose connection and floor vibration?

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

It is on a carpet. But the PC is sitting on a peice of plywood.

I am not kidding one bit... it is so odd that I've wondered if there is some FBI device bugging my activities when I sit down to the PC - thought there would be no reason for the FBI would want to do so...I'm a good guy.

RE: Loose Connection... no, all good and tight.

Im with Racker on this one. Almost has to be a loose connection. Either the PC is rocking on the plywood slightly and causing it to drop a connection to whatever is plugged in.

Try unplugging all USB and sit at your chair.

"You don't know what you got, till its gone..
80's hair band Cinderella or ode to data backups???

I've heard of one similar to this. There was a wire running under the floor mat that had a worn spot on it.

Are you in a cubicle or personal office. I'm wondering if some one isn't having some fun at your expense.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

I'm at my home office. No under-wiring here. I am going to do unplug all USBs and try that... I'll get back to you all. and thanks for the advice.

I does not happen EVERY time, so I'll have to get up and down a few times to see if I can get it start back up again to test the USB conn.

But if it were a loose USB, don't you think I could nudge the PC alittle and reproduce the sound? Why would me sitting down in a chair cause the "loose thing" but tapping on the PC or jiggling wires does not???

I vote for a static electricity problem. I had a painted case with a similar problem. Plugging in a USB cable caused the PC to boot. I put star washers under the power supply mounting screws to eliminate the paint from being an insulator. This fixed the problem.

Jim

But if a PC beeps. Isn't there some type of logfile that I can view to see what just caused it to beep?

I don't think there's a standard log. If you're a developer, these may help:

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Any help from a post like this?

I getting Device Connect and Device Disconnects every 5 seconds
thread779-1517958

What happens if someone else sits in your Computer Chair? Are you a large person, are you blocking any Wireless or Bluetooth signals to or from the machine by your physical presence?

Have you tried a different Computer Chair or moving the position of the chair?

I'm not overly fat... not huge by any means - 210 pounds.

This was driving me bonkers about a year ago and I was doing all sorts of tests and troubleshooting and sharing it with a few geek friends on facebook and they were perplexed as I was.

The problem subsided for a long time and now has started back up again; getting more frequent.

I know I ruled out the chair; I recall trying different chairs. But not a different human :)

I can;t get the problem to re-occue now that I've brought it up in here. But as soon as it starts happening again, I'll post some tests in here.

For now, all I know is it does not happen ALL the time and the chair does not make a difference. The only thing I KNOW, is that sitting in the chair and getting up from it is what triggers it when it does start happening.

I agree, this is a totally strange behavior...

now as mentioned, it could be a USB cable that has a short in it...

I would also test with another mouse and keyboard (if it is a USB kbd)...

besides that, relocate the PC to another spot in the room, e.g. on top of the desk...

now for the lighter side, besides sitting "naked" in front of your PC (as suggested by DrBob), you could also try aluminum foil (I hear it keeps the aliens at bay)... ;-)

PS: the above should is a light-hearten attempt on the situation...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Were you ever abducted by aliens? Could they have implanted a blue tooth device? (or, in a more serious vein, try turning Blue Tooth off..if it's connecting to a cell phone or an ear piece, or has perhaps developed a star struck attachment to the car door opener on the key chain in your pocket. Alternatively could you be in the path of something it thinks (they think?) it is attached to - a remote controlled device of some sort.
Frankly, I like the alien theory.

I had a cell phone under a usb mouse cable. Everytime someone called or it did some extra radiowork it opened a lot of web browser instances.

AFK Alert: Ohhhh I seee.... Hah!

No Bluetooth

As for some of the other suggestions. I can't get it to happen again, now that I have your attention.

I'm going to video it happening as well for proof.

I do appreciate the serious and the no so serious responses -

Stay tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back