Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The specified network name is no longer available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HKNinja

MIS
Nov 17, 2002
US
Hi,

Let me make the story short...
Servers: Windows 2000 Adv. Server x 1
Clients: 35 Windows 2000 Pro
Problem: When clients ping the server, it gets timeout every 10 to 20 pings depends on packet size. I tried to ping the server with 8000 bytes, and it go totally timeout. Any size of packet that are >8000 bytes works. When I copy mid to large size files from the server, it shows "The specified network name is no longer available." and the transection interrupted. Also, when clients try to login, 3 out of 5 times it shows that it can't copy the roaming profile from the server. I have changed the NIC and RJ45 cable on the server with no effect. Now, users are constantly getting connection drop out. Very weird problem. Please help!

Sounds like you have a massive bottleneck somewhere. I am sure people are going to need to know a bit more about your network, so try to elaborate on the status of the following below if you could ...

What type of replication method are you using / whats the timeframe?
(replication every 1 minute or less would cause a serious bottleneck)

What (if any) router(s) are you using?
(Always a possible bottleneck here)

Is it only from the server these issues apply or is it 100% all over the network?
(If it is serverside only, look at the services running on the local machine(s))

Is it only a certain time during the day?
(possible service running at a specified time on all machines like Norton full system scan)

Do you have any broadcasts being used throuought the network?
(any IPX/SPX stations out there?)

Are you running on 10mb or 100mb throughput? check your hubs, routers, switches... depending on the type, one could be forcing a broadcast...

If you are running a mixed mode NIC environment (10mb cards and 100's) HARD SET and FORCE the 100 cards to 100mb, do not let them auto-negotiate... this is a common broadcast problem and serious bottleneck in certain situations.

Hopefully someone else can give some insight...

Gluck!
Chance~

AT what speed is your network running 10 or 100 Mbps?
ALso are you using hubs or switches? A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Hi guys,

Thanks for your quick respond. I thought it was latency problem too, but appear that it could be something else. The problem occur even when there're very low network traffic. I increased the server memeory to over 800MB (originally, it has 288MB) and is still not solving the problem.

There're two cases I'm thinking. 1) The IDE hard drive is not able to keep up with the data distribution. However, when I tried to copy file to only one workstation, the same message pops up.

Now, let me answer a few of your questions.
1) we're using two 3COM 10baseT 24-port hubs and is planning to upgrade to a D-link 100BaseT 24-port switch. The problem occur with or without using the 100BaseT switch; therefore, I don't think it's a network latancy problem.

2) We do not use any router for the LAN. Router is used for
internet connection only. We have a Linux email server acts as a gateway.

3) The problem only occur on client-to-server. Client-to-client works fine.

4) Problem occured anytime.

5) we don't use IPX/SPX. TCP/IP is the only protocol we're using.

6) I tried to hard set the NIC to 100baseT with no effect.

Any more idea? Thanks for your inputs.

I due a 88 GIG dump over the network from a SQL server. I found that I got the "The specified network name is no longer available" After about 24-36 Gigs into the dump. I think it is the fact I use the full UNC name for the copy. Since SQL server will not let me use a mapped drive I had no choice but to work around it. I had to put 2 Gigs of RAM in the server to support all the Cache buffers that windows 2000 will open to Cache the file during the copy. If anyone knows how the turn the UNC caching off please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back