Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

the specified domain does not exist or cannot be contacted

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicknnhead

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2002
US
i have a Network with windows 2K active directory domain controller. all the machines are win 2K.
all the users can log onto the machines and connect to the network, every thing seems to work fine, so here is my problem:
everyone has to be a domain admin for them to work on the domain!
when i got to add the user to the local admin group
admin tools\local users and groups\groups\administrators
i click add, click the drop down, slect the domain instead of the local computer.
it shows all the users, i'll select a user, click add, it add's it to the white box below, but then when i click ok
i get and error that pops up. it says "the specified domain does not exist or cannot be contacted"

the machine has a static ip that i'm testing the problem with. now i talked to a few paople and they said change one of the DNS ip address on the local machine to point towards the ip of the server. i did this but nothing. all the other machines use dhcp, but they have the saem problem

How long has this been going on? I had a faulty dcpromo that caused the same problem. When you went to access a file, it asked for username and password. Took me about 5 minutes to figure out I could access if I used admin account. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything,
we ought to know a little about everything."
Blaise Pascal

it's been going on i guess since i started working here about a year back, but i gust noticed it was that way about 4 months ago and been working on it off and on since then.
not sure if the server was and NT 4 box before or not.

Are there any messages in the event viewer? Don't think it matters if it was nt. DCPROMO makes a stand alone server a domain controller, or vica versa. What does ipconfig /all show on your machines? Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything,
we ought to know a little about everything."
Blaise Pascal

it show the correct dns entries from the dhcp server. it shows the domain name as the primary dns suffix, not sure what else to could be the problem

Check the permissions on the sysvol share. They are probobly incorrect. Everyone needs to be able to read it also a certain permission level. search for the sysvol

Also, make sure it is available from the clients (i.e. run a 'net use [servername]' (replace [servername] with your server) you should see a SYSVOL entry. If you cannot then it is a share issue.

I hope this helps

Hello,

Did u find a solutio to ur prob as the same is being faced by us.

Pls reply ..... if any solution

i checked the permissions on the sysvol and still same problem. any other idea's?

I had the same problem and it was because you can't add users if your not the administrator.
Just a thought you might try!

I fixed my problem, the dhcp scope and the dns(also domain controller in my case) need to have the local machine's IP as the primary dns. once i did that rleased and renewed the IP address from client, every thing worked no error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back