Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The show must go on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

leburg

Programmer
Feb 15, 2006
US
Bare with me. I took over the task of cameraman for my community. I video board of director meetings for 3 things, stream live over local cable channel, stream live via ustream, record and schedule for later viewing on local cable channel and youtube for on-demand viewing. Lots of pressure at show time.

Basically, I learned a task and have been following it religiously for 2 years with good results. I have a programmer background, not much networking experience...

Using Vidblaster, 2 laptops - 1 for Vidblaster the other for camera control, a couple webcams hooked up to a Cisco switch (Catalyst 2960) and plugging the switch into the wall/network enables me to get it done. Beyond the wall, let's say I'm learning the hard way.

Ok, now the problem/mystery...

Since I started doing this, the switch port used to cable to the wall/network port came up with a 'green' light, along with the other switch ports used by the other devices hanging off it, those being the 2 webcams and 2 pcs, so a total of 5 green lights on the switch. These were always the results from the 2 locations where we hold board meetings. Then one day, the switch to network port comes up 'yellow' from one and only one of the two locations, the other site...still all 'green'?

From the troubled location I find, a pc plugged into the same wall/network port seems to work fine, we have network access, verified via functioning internet access. However, the switch does not, and the devices hooked up do not reach the internet either.

Where is a good place to begin an investigation into why this one port does not like the switch?

Is it the switch? Cables I've ruled out. Is it the network? The physical wall ethernet port itself? Will ipconfigs point to it? Anything to get me started...

Many thanks in advance.

Charlie

Without the switch model here is the only information I could get. Are both locations on the same physical network? Are you you using fixed IP or DHCP?

If you are using fixed IP and both locations are not on the same physical netowrk I would guess you have an ip conflict

This is with the leds in Stat mode

Port is blocked by Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) and is not forwarding data.

Note After a port is reconfigured, the port LED can remain amber for up to 30 seconds as STP checks the network topology for possible loops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back