Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The right Programming training direction? Any suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pghsteelers

Technical User
Apr 21, 2006
US
I have been working with some easy programming languages such as Vbscript, and I am looking for the next language to tackle.

I have been seriously considering C++, but have been wondering if VB might not be more logical since it would fall in line with VBS, especially since I think I might want to make my way to VB.NET eventually.

However, I am not sure, and wanted to know what you actuall programmmers my suggestion as the next language to tackle. Just as a side note, I have read some of the similar topics, but wanted to put up my specific situation in what I have already been working in and where to go next. As another side note, I don't know what type of programming I want to do either I haven't had much exposure to any other but automative software installation. But they have been rather indepth and fun so I am looking to take it to the next level.

Thanks

pghsteelers,

I am not a programmer but I did do the VB Script and then VB and you will find lots the same as you work with VB .

At the college I work we suggest for students that want to be programmers - if they have never programmed they should start with VB because it is one of the easiest to learn.

They then do C, Advanced C, C++, JAVA and finish with Advanced JAVA. Lots are doing C# also.

You might want to check the job boards and see what they are looking for in your area.

Just some thoughts!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

As a programmer for 9 years I beleive some people make C/C++ out to be more complicated than it really is. If you can master C/C++ you can master any language, that's because most languages build upon the C foundation. The only complication some people have are when it comes to pionters. That can be very frustrating to a novice programmer.
I like C/C++ as an intro to programming. Maybe I'm being niave about this, but I think it will give you the skill set needed to pick up other languages faster.
I think you should focus on C then C++. What does the rest of the programming community think?

c is your next logical step,
the thing to realize is that the first 2 or 3 languages you learn are the toughest.

The order i learned (this may date me a bit) was basic-assembly(masm for fun and profit)-pascal-fortran-c-foxpro-visual basic dot net

Its really true you always return to your first love, vb.net is my favorite. but i think it would have been a real pain to learn without the other languages.

c is really the most marketable to learn though.
vb is considerd by many professionals to be the quick and dirty solution to any problem.

if it is to be it's up to me

Just to add to techx comments. The languages are not all that difficult as far as syntax goes. If you can grasp C++ and object orientated programming you will be able to pick up just about any other language very quickly. The most difficult part about using different languages is learning the IDE and the libraries include with it. Java may also be a good choice as it is object orientated and its syntax is similar to C++.

If you choose to battle wits with the witless be prepared to lose.

[cheers]

I appreciate everyones input, it has been extremely helpful.

I did have a "little" of C in school a number of years back. To be honest, and it probably was the dumb programs I had to write, more or less didn't enjoy it or maybe it's my maturity now, as I have really enjoyed VBS and VB.

However, do you think I could go straight to V C++ instead of going with C first then C++?

Absolutely. I would actually recommend that as C does not directly support OOP like C++.

If you choose to battle wits with the witless be prepared to lose.

[cheers]

Everyone is so against VB. That is what I am taking currently, (with OOP) and it is helping me in my current job, and I plan to go the .net route as well.

It's a bit challenging, but that's just me being 40 and back in school (in my living room that is). Maybe I will learn C++ afterward, but I don't see how it would help me.

I think you're doing the right thing in looking at both VB and C++. One of the major points of .NET is that it can allow mixing of VB and Microsoft-Studio-Style C++ in big-scale projects, because they're both sitting on the same .NET library, in the same environment. Inevitably big projects are going to end up with C++ programers who don't really like the VB side, and VB people who get intimidated by C++. If you can have a foot in both camps, you will be very useful.

And yes, you can definitely go straight for C++ without worrying about straight C. In fact, you could probably go straight for .NET C++ and miss out malloc if you wanted. The great challenge of .NET is knowing all the components that are available (and they're the same whatever the language). There are two challenges for a basic-style programer hitting C++: (1) pointers and (2) the unobvious syntax (VB builds on a tradition of making a program read human-friendly; C++ builds on a tradition of achieving as much as possible with as few key-strokes as possible). .NET-style C++ simplifies pointer usage enormously, and replaces much of the gruesome syntax with simpler versions.

In the .NET environment, C++ does have a few minor advantages over VB and C#. For instance, if you have to talk to older applications using .COM, C++ offers flexibility in supporting .COM as it always did.

Wow Thanks Lionelhill for the heads up and information. Thanks all for all the usefull information. I have put up a post separate from this regarding Visual Studio versions, but maybe to get some additional thoughts on the question, I'll go ahead and throw it up here:

So far I have been able to read the C++ 5 book and do the studies in Visual Studio 6 without a problem.

My question is, I know there is Visual C++ 2005, but is there a visual Studio 2005?
AND
Should I be able to buy a Visual C++ 2005 book and be able to follow it working in visual C++ 6?

Can anyone sort of give me some clarity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back