Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process' with FileUpload con

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirnose1

Programmer
Nov 1, 2005
US
The code does what I want when it first runs, moves data from spreadsheet to excel. However when I attempt to load it again using the fileupload control, I get an error "The process cannot access the file. because it is being used by another process." I have tried different things but it still errors out. Any help would be appreciated. Here is the code:

If fuGroupAwarenessXLS.HasFile Then
Dim strAttachmentPath As String = Application("RootPath") & "/UPLOADED_FILE/GROUP_GROWTH/"
Dim strFileName As String = Path.GetFileName(fuGroupAwarenessXLS.FileName)
strFileName = strFileName.Replace("'", "")

fuGroupAwarenessXLS.SaveAs(strAttachmentPath & "/" & strFileName)
fuGroupAwarenessXLS.Dispose()

Dim gv1 As New GridView
Dim objDa As New OleDbDataAdapter()
objDa.SelectCommand = ExcelConnection()
Dim objDs As New DataSet()
objDa.Fill(objDs)
gv1.DataSource = objDs.Tables(0).DefaultView
gv1.DataBind()

End If

Protected Function ExcelConnection() As OleDbCommand

' Connect to the Excel Spreadsheet
Dim xConnStr As String = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("~/UPLOADED_FILE/GROUP_GROWTH/" & fuGroupAwarenessXLS.PostedFile.FileName) & ";Extended Properties=Excel 12.0;"
' create your excel connection object using the connection string
Dim objXConn As New OleDbConnection(xConnStr)
objXConn.Open()
' use a SQL Select command to retrieve the data from the Excel Spreadsheet
' the "table name" is the name of the worksheet within the spreadsheet
' in this case, the worksheet name is "Members" and is expressed as: [Members$]
Dim objCommand As New OleDbCommand("SELECT * FROM [Sheet1$]", objXConn)

Return objCommand

End Function

You'll need to close the connection in the command object. That is, you're opening the connection and doing a SELECT and then returning the OLEDBCommand object to bind to the Gridview, but you never close the connection nor delete the file (which will error out if a file with the same name is uploaded (file exists)).

I have done this with Excel files in the past-- open the connection and SELECT the records and store in a DataTable in ViewState, closed all connections, and delete the uploaded file before I worked with the content. You'll also have to watch for exceptions and probably put the clean up in a try...finally.

Mark

"You guys pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle."
- Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach

Thanks! Closing the connection was part of the problem. I didnt have to delete the file, but what I did was add "fuGroupAwarenessXLS.PostedFile.InputStream.Dispose()".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back