Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Procedure Entry Point GetLongPathNameA and Norton 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

cogebi

Vendor
Apr 24, 1999
US
Norton 2002 Antivirus is installed on this workstation which is Win NT. The weekly definitions update etc are downloaded fine automatically.
Now all of a sudden when I do a regular live update it finds a Norton Antivirus 2000 (program) update and after downloading when it tries to install , I get the following error:
At the top blue bar spa.exe-Entry Point not found
Then below it says
The procedure entry point GetLongPathNameA could not be loaded in the dynamic link libral kernel32.dll

Suggestions?

This is especially for "European2" . . . we also have some NT4 sp6a machines that are still updating correctly . . . but they have Norton AV 2001 and NOT 2002! All of the AV 2002 machines have this problem. Might be time to go with another vendor. From a support standpoint you would have to pay just to tell Symantec that you have this (their) problem!

We have some servers running Eset (NOD32) and it works great. We started using it in some limited areas because they still support every Windows environment out there.

Just a thought.

My thanks are extended to BergerNT for pointing out the importance of backing up the file Product.Inventory.LiveUpdate before deleting the Live Update folder. My own installation appears to have successfully recreated the inventory on my NT4 box but it is now apparent this cannot be guaranteed. Apologies to wgwoods.

It may be of interest that I ran NAV2002 Live Update on a 98SE box since previously posting here. To cut a long story and a couple of long hours short, it all went wrong. I ripped the whole lot out and have regressed the system to NAV2001, with the original Live Update. All is now fine.

cogebi's original post seems to have raised several issues...

Has anyone tried to install Norton Av 2003 on a Windows NT 4 system?
I had also previously deleted the live update files and reinstalled but ended up right where I raised the original live update program issue error so for now I have left it that way as what is most important are the definitions update and this is working fine.
The Norton compatibility chart indicates 2003 is not approved for Win NT but I was wondering if anyone had attempted it and the results.
Thanks.

I have been getting a large amount of "Fraudulent Microsoft Certificate Blocked" alerts. On my firewall. They seem to be related to Norton Antivirus as they are no longer logged when Norton is uninstalled. I wonder if this is somehow related to the "GetLongPathNameA" error message as I have also seen this on my NT 4 box with SP6a installed. Also of note: This article from Verisign concerning the fraudulent certificates: notice that there was a large spike of CRL requests on January 7, 2004.

Symantec has been quiet about this.

I don't know what is more annoying, that this problem exists or that Symantec's support website offers no way to compain about it. In any case, I sent off an email to Gail Hamilton, whose name appeared in a press release today as the executive vice president of global support essentially saying what the first sentence of this post said. I realize the futility of that, but at least I took some action.

Dear Sirs,

I have reinstalled NortonAntivirus 2002, its liveupdate and backuped and reinserted the Product.Inventory then deleted the liveupdate folders according to Ligneous and rebooted, without any benfit, the message is still there and no update of the product appears.
I confirm, anyway, over three machines NT4 sp6 running Antivirus2002, and not 2001 version, only two show this bug, the third downloads perfectly!

European2: so it seems the other interesting alternative for you to consider would be to reinstall Win NT SP6 on the machine that has the problem and see if that succeeds.

I have reinstalled Sp6 as well but without any progress, I am always stucked over the GetLongPathNameA on two over three NT4 worstations. There is no use to upgrade Norton since NAntivirus 2004 is not considering WNT4. It seems to me to be a forced exodus to XP!

Perhaps MYTHICALPHENIX would give us Gail Hamilton's email address and we can ALL send her a note, No ?

Sounds good to me, except that I do not know if I have the correct email address. In the press release, there were two contacts listed for Symantec (media, and investor relations). The format of the email address was
<firstname>_<lastname>@symantec.com
<firstinitial><lastname>@symantec.com
I went with the first one, and didn't receive an 'unable to deliver' failure. Of course, that is no guarantee it sent to whom I wanted it to go succesfully...
Here's a link to the press release:

Interesting. My LiveUpdate is no longer showing an update for
Norton AntiVirus 2002. So, for me, and for now, this problem has gone away...

It looks as though Symantec have replaced Livereg in its entirety to day - with a 3775KB single update, and a complete re-issue of VirusDefs 4591KB. Somebody must have got through to them.

Dear Sirs,

now, all of a sudden, after having deleted the two folders LiveUpdate and copied those from the workstation NT4 where it was downloading, all of the three workstations NT4 Sp6 are finely downloading virus definitions as previously up to the 29th january updating. The Norton antivirus is the 2002 edition.
Mario

Has anyone found a solution for the dozens of &quot;Fraudulent Microsoft Certificate Blocked&quot; alerts that are hitting our firewalls (SonicWALL).

These alerts are triggered by Symantec / Norton AntiVirus updates and they began firing around the 9th of January, 2004.

The source addresses of these alerts consist of the following four (4) addresses:

12.158.80.10 crl.verisign.com
64.94.110.11 crl.verisign.com
64.94.110.12 SPAMMERSAREBAD.EUQINOM.COM
198.49.161.200 crl.verisign.com

I am aware of the following notice from VeriSign but I do not understand why these alerts still continue to trigger when thick clients periodically run their scheduled Symantec / Norton AntiVirus updates:

VeriSign Update on Certificate Revocation List Expiration

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Errol

Norton Antivirus 2002 and Win NT 4.0 SP 6
Now after all has been fine since the last issues with the Norton AV 2002 program update, there is another NAV 2002 program update at Norton but while installing I receive the following failure details.
&quot;File could not be update C:-\winnt\system32\driver\navap.sy
Suggestions?

I have solved this problem by uninstalling Norton AV 2002 and reinstalling.

I have the same problem, ever time I download something just before I install it, It will say GetLongPathNameA.What does that mean and how can I fix it.

Erict20044: have you read and tried the other posts in this thread. What Norton AV do you have and what operating system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back