Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The power switch to my pc was destr

Status
Not open for further replies.

agamid

Technical User
Mar 6, 2002
US
The power switch to my pc was destroyed while working on it, the switch (whole component) it's self was crushed (don't ask), I can't find anywhere to buy a new one, can I make one? Any help is appreciated.

forgot to mention this is an atx switch

you mean the button or the switch itself, cause the switch itself it readily availible from any Electronics store

Later
NEo81 >:):O>

the switch it's self. when you purchase one does it usualy have the cables and connector with it, it might some stupid but there is only one comp/electric store around so I will probably have to order one. thanks

Yes it will come with the cable and connector

Look for the manufacturer of the case if there is anything saying who made the case. Retail systems dont always tell you who made what. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Before I had everything wired up, I would power on using a screwdriver on the mobo jumpers. If you need a longer reach or are afraid of shorting the wrong J) you can run two leads up onto your desk and short them when you want to power on. Your mileage may vary.

The smartes solution that i have for you until you get a new switch is to go open upi your case and move the switch for the restart button on to the power button oins on the mother board. I had the same problem as you and that was the solution for me. I actually havent even replaced the power button becasue i never restart my PC and if i do i soft boot it. If it freezes (never) i would jus hard boot it by holding down the reset button. Tell me what you think of this idea. I am big into case modding and ever since i lost that power button i have been pondering wiether to but a momentary contact key switch into the old power button position. So i would have to start my PC with a key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back