Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The object cannot be found in the directory 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgmarquez

MIS
Mar 6, 2003
US
A few weeks ago, we moved a mailbox from an Exchange server to another within the same site but for some reason the mailbox still shows under the Mailbox Resources \ Private Information Store at the old server even though the same mailbox shows at the new server and it is totally functional.
When trying to double click on the mailbox in case, I get the following error message:
The object cannot be found in the directory. This might be because the replication has not completed.
Microsoft Exchange Directory
Id no: c1010aae
We can't find a way to remove the entry from the old server.
Any ideas how to do it?
Thanks all in anticipation for your help.

Juan Marquez

Have you tried to move the mailbox back to the original server?

Or you might try to exmerge the contents out and recreate the mailbox.

Thanks for responding.
According to Microsoft, moving the mailbox back to the original server might result on a loss of data. They suggest not to do it.
Will recreating the mailbox remove the entry from the old server? The mailbox is functional. There is no problems reported by the user. It is just that I have this leftover entry on the old server that does not seem to go away...

Thanks Spikez1.

With the "Mailbox Resources" highlighted, add the "Full Mailbox Directory Name" view.

This is view on the toolbar...it's view\columns. Anyway, just add the full mailbox directory name to the right.

Then take a look at the directory name of the two mailboxes....they will be different....like bobs...and bsmith...

Now, you need to create a New mailbox, but during the creation, make sure to switch to the "Advanced" tab and ensure that the "Directory Name" of this new mailbox matches exactly what the directory name is in Mailbox Resources for the old account entry.

This will tie the new mailbox to the object in Mailbox Resources. You give this new mailbox a bogus name just so you can login into it and pull the mail out.

Jenny30534,
Thanks for your response. I had it fixed last week using similar approach. I ended up creating a new mailbox for the stranded mailbox then by trial and error created the alias that would match the alias on the deleted mailbox. In some cases I had to try up to 5 or 6 aliases until I got the right one. It seems like aliases and directory names are tied up somehow. I then turned around and deleted the just created mailboxes in all cases the stranded mailboxes went away!
Your method seems very straigh forward and should eliminate the guessing part. Thanks so much for your time trying to help me on this problem.
Juan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back