Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Novice's Firewall, which is best?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjmdesigns

Technical User
Mar 7, 2003
GB
I am setting up a Small Business network of 8 PCs which is likely to grow to 10 max, this is currently peer to peer but at the weekend will have a dedicated server running SBS, with all client PCs sharing the server's internet connection.

The thing I am having trouble with at the moment is trying to fathom which Firewall to use, software? Hardware? Both? It's a jungle out there! Can anyone give me some advice please, or point me in the direct of a good, easy to understand resource on the net, problem is I'm running out of time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
PJ

I would recommend Smoothwall unless you're looking to spend some cash. The nice part is that you can use an old PC or server with little RAM and not such a fast CPU. Throw 2 NIC cards in it, download the .iso image from smoothwall and you'll be running very quickly. There are many modifications that are easily loadable. Things like content filtering, inline antivirus, etc. The software does the following by default: DHCP, NAT, dns forwarding, TRANSPARENT inline proxy.

If you need further help with it, I'd be glad to assist. I used this setup for a public access situation where some kind of protection was needed at a minimal cost. If you want better performance, a quicker PC can be used or you can spend some money on a harware device.

I hope that helps!

I came to this forum to ask the exact same question as pjmdesigns and have since decided to go with your suggestion of SmoothWall.

Firstly?though could you just help me out with a couple of questions?

1) I will be using a DLINK ADSL Router. Should I turn off all DHCP etc and just forward everything to my SmoothWall PC? What about NAT etc???

2) My spare computer that I intend to use is a Pentium II 233Mhz with 128Mb. Is this suitable or not? Half the reason I`m building this firewall is just to learn so I`m not too fussed if the PC is a bit slow (It`s only a Home Network)

3) Any other advice you can offer is appreciated

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back