Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Novell server and VPN help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyboy5

IS-IT--Management
Oct 19, 2001
CA
G'day techies. Really need some help here. Working on a project installing a VPN in our network. It is working fine for NT server but have come to a stumper regarding the Novell 5.x server. We used to have modems where the distribution managers would call in on 1 800 numbers to access our network. Now by saving money installed the VPN. What we want to do now is assign an IP address to the Novell server so we can add it to the VPN. I know my way around a bit at the console. Is this possible? If so, by using INETCFG? How (and please be descriptive) do I do this?

Thanks a mill

Ken the Rod

quite easy.

1. load inetcfg
2. Protocols
3. tcpip
4. enable and make any changes to default settings
5. enable lan static routes
6. in the static route list press <insert>
press return on network and change to default route.
fill in relevant info.
7. press escape and save the info
8. bindings
9. run through and add tcpip to your network card
7. at server prompt type reinitialize system

that will give your server an ip address.

Lee Smith
Associated Network Services
Snr Systems Engineer
Lee.Smith@ANSPLC.Com

Thanks Lee. Ok fine got that far. Now that I have an IP on the server and I can ping it in the LAN, how or where do I tell the Novell server the gateway of the VPN. Because when I go in thru the VPN, I can ping for instance our other servers but I can't ping the Novell server because I don't think it knows where to look. It doesn't know the gateway or IP of the VPN.

I have faith in you my son...

Thanks fella

Ken

The lan static route you setup in step 6 above. The choice of default route is equal to default gateway. If you need other static routes select type=network.

Any changes made just reinitialize system after. Lee Smith
Snr Systems Engineer
Lee.Smith@ANSPLC.Com

Ok, it worked!! I got in the VPN and was able to ping the Novell server. Now I have one final hurdle. When I'm tunneling thru the VPN and I can ping the Novell server, I try to map to the volume\share and it asks me to enter user name which I enter and then a password which I enter and it gives me Error 51. Now that I'm coming at the server a different way, is it authenticating me some other way that isn't set up? Is there a different authentication process going on? If I can ping that puppy then why can't I log in?
Yes I am entered in the list of people who can log in and I have administrative rights.

After this, my mission will have been completed...yes...completed!!

Thanks for all your help
Kenny

The client that is logging in, has it got IP bound to the netware client?

Try creating a user in a partition that is on the VPN master server.

This is the worst bit for me to try and anser as it could be quite a number of things.

Is the client w2k?
Lee Smith
Snr Systems Engineer
Lee.Smith@ANSPLC.Com

Actually I'm testing it with my own computer here at work. I am running Windows ME. What I do is disconnect from the LAN by unplugging the cable and do a dial up to the ISP. Once connected I run the Intel Netstructure software and it logs me in to the VPN here because they have me on the list of available clients to log into the VPN. So my tunnel is connected. Yesterday I went to Start, Programs, Novell, Client Login and up came the login screen. Now in the help file they told me to hit Advanced and instead of using the server name, use the IP addy to it. Which I did but it just seems to hang there and can't login with no errors. That's the scoop. I'm close....sooo close. And I'm really thinkin of gettin that BorderManager software from Novell but I won't give up that easy.

Thanks Lee

Ken

good oh.

have fun...... Lee Smith
Snr Systems Engineer
Lee.Smith@ANSPLC.Com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back