Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

the new 70-291 exam with simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patchste

Technical User
May 16, 2005
GB
Hi All

I have booked my 70-291 exam for 4 weeks time. Has anyone recently passed it got any tips on what subjects to focus for the exam. If also can anyone remember what sims they got on the exam as well.

Any help would be really great.

Steve

I passed mine just over 5 weeks ago now. You will have to know pretty much everything that's in the book, 291 is supposed to be about the hardest exam to pass with a lot of people failing it the first time around (I did, I failed on RRAS).

Make sure you know how to configure DHCP scopes, scope options, RRAS, RADIUS etc. Make sure you know about DNS like it's the back of your hand as well.

Patchste,

Not to scare you, but I know some folks that have failed 70-291 several times. I failed it the first time myself, but it seems that for the most part it's downhill after this exam.

Setting up a test server and actually doing the practice exercises should help with the simulation questions. The screenshots in the book don't prepare you for these well enough.

In addition to SimonDavies' excellent areas to concentrate on, I remember seeing a few questions about Terminal Services, IP subnetting, and WINS. Knowing these well is a bonus, as you may encounter them in the field.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Thanks for your help. I have a test server so I will use your pointers. I really like studying DNS and IP Subnetting so I should be ok there. Its 3 weeks til exam so I will let you know how I get on. I have passed all exams first time so far but I am sure that will not last long.

Patchste,

I wouldn't be too worried about the exam. You'll take your best shot and either pass, or take away knowledge about the specifics of what you need to work on.

When I took 70-291 last fall, there were only 40 questions or so. One of them I recall was something like:

How many host IPs are available in the 10.10.1.0/16 range?

This is the only time I've seen so brief a question come up on a Microsoft exam, and this isn't exactly how it was worded, but you get the idea.

The answer to the above BTW is (2^16)-2 or 65534 and you'll be expected to know IP subnetting to answer other questions.

Wishdiak

Hi All

I passed this exam on my 3rd go. I got 678 on my first exam and got 678 again (I cant believe I got the same score twice). I passed on with 790. Another one bites the dust.

The sims I had were setup dhcp scope, setup dns zone, setup a SUS.

Now onto the SQL 70-228 to get my MCSA

good luck!
228 is a toughie.
be hot on setting up the server, raid disks, that sort of thing...

and well done too [cheers]

Aftertaf
We shall prevail, and they shall not

Patchste,

Congrats! A pass is a pass. You'll never need to disclose your score or how many attempts it took.

Wishdiak

I just failed the 70-291 today. My sims were, setting up DNS, Setting up a DHCP scope, and configuring a Security template which kept freezing up the computer. The testing center said there was nothing they could do I just had to get it wrong.

newbie04,

It's too bad that you had to lose credit for a sim that kept freezing up the computer.

Keep on studying and you'll pass it next time.

Wishdiak

Okay I am taking it tomorrow , I am starting to panic a little . This will be the second time for me . Any last minute advice from anyone now would be the time.
The other thing is I never feel ready for the M$ exams
I was just wondering if anyone else gets this way ?
I will do my best to slay this BEAST , Wish me luck
and thanks again for everyones post's and advice .

Also sitting this one tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how it goes. First attempt for me though.

Well another mcp notch in the beast's belt . Failed what can I say . I thought the exam was pretty fair though.,
I nailed everything but DNS. Many many DNS questions.
My advice study DNS and not just what zones do what. But when to use them in each different scenario . I had some complex DNS questions not to violate the NDA but practice the whys and hows of real world DNS. Time 210 min test 185 min actual 43 questions three or 4 sims etc second attempt .Thanks again to everyone for the posts .

"Never give up and you will prevail"

Passed this today. Was very tough. I used the Exam Cram 2 book to study. About 50% of the content on the exam was not covered in this book. Will find an additional resource for the next one.

Congrats on the pass , I use MS press ,sybex and mesureup.
I dont like the MS press books though they have alot of information but for me I get board with the writting style
. I have 3 left for the MCSE 291 ,294,298 . 4x4forlife how many do you have left ? Also what did you use just the exam cram book ? thanks

Got 4 left now to get the 2003 mcse. checked the website and none of the electives and design exams I did for Windows 200 4 years ago seem to count towards the 2003 mcse. Therefore I have 293, 294 to go in the core. Will probably do the AD and Security Design exams. Might do security admin too. I used to be an MCT way back in 1999-2000. Been working in security for the past 4 years. Those exams should be ok for me I think. Cant wait to get this done though. Just want to start teaching again :p

For study I used the exam cram book, technet and the MOC. Set up several VMs and configured servers for just about every task the Exam Cram book talked about. The MOC on its own is a good first step. Nice introduction and overview to the topics. The exam cram book seems to give a reasonably condensed version of each topic. It only seems to give what they think is important though.

The best thing I find is to build and play. There is no substitute for hands on experience. I find that even when presented with a question I am not sure about you can make an educated guess if you are familiar with the subject.

The technet articles are sensational. They give ALL the ins and outs of configuring different services and features under 2003. Configuration and design guides are particularly useful.

Another criticism I have of the Exam Cram 2 books is that the practice exam in the back of 291 has 3 wrong answers to questions I found. Proved they were wrong by performing the task in the OS. Just goes to show that you need to verify everything yourself. I will still use the Exam Cram books for 293 and 294 (I bought the box set so would be a shame to waste them). Will just make sure that I check and check again everything that I am not sure of. Technet and hands-on are my ultimate authorities. I will take the word of an article in technet over the cram books any day.

Just rechecked the website. Only need to do 293,294 and I'm good. Was looking in the wrong place. So only 2 to go. I decided not to do the upgrade exams. I have to teach this stuff so wanted to do what most of my students will go through :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back