Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The National Anthem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acl03

MIS
Jun 13, 2005
US
It's a real pet-peeve of mine when a singer at a sporting (or other) event sings "their" version of the Star-Spangled Banner. I think it takes away from the meaning when a singer shows off and tries to make it their own. A lot of the time it seems as if they are trying to display their vocal range rather than sing the song for its intended purpose, which in my opinion, has been mostly lost.

Thoughts?

Do national anthems in countries other than the U.S. get changed in the same fashion?

Thanks,
Andrew

[smarty] Hard work often pays off over time, but procrastination pays off right now!

>>To me, it's all show-biz and phony.

Yeah, I suppose that's quite a large portion of everything in entertainment, especially... and other things as well... take pro sports, probably it could be argued - at least a big piece... and even politics. [wink]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Even politics??? :)

Politics is the most phone of them all!

Thanks,
Andrew

[smarty] Hard work often pays off over time, but procrastination pays off right now!

Since I sing in a choir, my tendency is to not be individualistic. In a choral setting (especially a church choral setting), you generally sing the music as written.

I feel that the Star-Spangled Banner should be sung in a respectful, yet passionate, manner. And I feel that this can be done without ad-libbing the modulation.

I also feel that the death penalty should be applied to any composer who comes up with an arrangement of "Flight of the Bumblebee" for bagpipe. [wink]

-- Francis
I'd like to change the world, but I can't find the source code.

I would really like to hear "Flight of the Bumblebee" on the bagpipes. I think it would make for a great alarm clock.

Thanks,
Andrew

It would also work well as an anti-loitering background music.

There was a convenience store that tried to cut down on loitering by gangs by piping Muzak out front. It worked, but Muzak made them pull the plug. Too bad.

-- Francis

I've often wanted to blast the hip-hop music out (the kind of music that makes your entire car vibrate, even with your windows rolled up) with the 1812 Overture. But esp. in urban areas, one does things like that at their own peril.

-- Francis

I'm afraid Francis that if you tried that, you might find the cannons pointed in your direction.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I can dream, anyway. [wink]

-- Francis

For me, it's all about the person singing (or trying to). One of the most emotional things I ever saw was a group of mentally disabled kids singing the anthem. The familiar melody was barely discernible, but it brought a big lump in my throat and my eyes welled up. That was both the best and worst version I have ever heard. Actually thinking about it, that was the best version I have ever heard.

Actually, BPRS, God save the Queen is officially the Commonwealth Anthem, and strictly speaking the UK doesn't have one of its own. England has certainly never has one, and really should rather than singing God save the Queen at its sporting events.

I might be biased, but I believe the most rousing anthem is the Welsh one.

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

I've got to say Dan, I don't think that just because something is seen by some as outdated, that it necessitates updating.

I've always found 'God Save the Queen' a rousing anthem (admittedly that has been instilled in me from a very young age and probably on a similar level of bias to Fee) and wouldn't be the happiest camper around if it was changed or replaced.

I personally think it falls into the 'things that don't need changing' category.

Regards

HarleyQuinn
---------------------------------
Carter, hand me my thinking grenades!

You can hang outside in the sun all day tossing a ball around, or you can sit at your computer and do something that matters. - Eric Cartman

Get the most out of Tek-Tips, read FAQ222-2244: How to get the best answers before post

The US and Canadian anthems are sung before NHL hockey games & I love the Canadian anthem because it can actually be sung by an average human being.

I'm sure more than a few professional singers have rendered the US anthem "their-style" because the vocal range necessary is demanding.

My personal favorites: Whitney Houston, Faith Hill, Al Jareau, and I'm pretty sure Josh Groban sang it but I don't remember the event .... all were moving.

mjdba said:
I love the Canadian anthem because it can actually be sung by an average human being.
It does have the advantage of simplicity. My elementary school ripped off the tune for their school song (this goes back to 1960).

Considering the tune for The Star-Spangled Banner was an English drinking song, it's not hard to see why it's difficult to sing properly.

It's like everything else: it takes practice to sing properly. I think too many of these celebs don't take the time to actually read the sheet music.

-- Francis

On the thought of the American Anthem not being easy to sing by a standard person, I believe if you sing it in a different octave, or even different key, most people could find a level they are comfortable with. Well, maybe... it does go pretty low at places, and purty high at others... But for the basics of it, you could always modify it enough to get by, if you're just wanting to sing it to yourself. However, quite often, with emotionally stirring songs, I seem to get more out of the song, if I just sit and listen, thinking about the words... thinking about what may have gone through the mind of the author at the time... thinking about the history surrounding the song... well, at least for those that I know a little about.

--

agree with you about focusing on content rather than melody.

First time I heard "God Bless the USA" (Lee Westwood) was at an NFL championship game that occured at the same time as the Desert Storm offensive. We were patted down outside the stadium (usual) by stadium security and patted down inside the stadium by "others" and this was highly unusual.

A friend said they had seen 2 Apache helicopters behind the fieldhouse but that cannot be confirmed. Why choppers? An NFL stadium with 80,000+ people makes a significant target.

Huge American flags everywhere in the stadium, a very intense low-speed flyover by the USAF and the lyrics moved me to tears ... and the song will bring tears to my eyes today.

I find that really odd. Anything to do with military activity is a real turn-off for me.

Annihilannic.

Annihilannic said:
I find that really odd. Anything to do with military activity is a real turn-off for me.

So then, you don't like the American National Anthem?

StarSpangledBanner said:
Oh, say! can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming;
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, [highlight]through the perilous fight,[/highlight]
[highlight]O'er the ramparts[/highlight] we watched were so gallantly streaming?
[highlight]And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,[/highlight]
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there:
Oh, say! does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of [highlight]the brave?[/highlight]

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In fully glory reflected now shines in the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh, long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of [highlight]the brave![/highlight]

[highlight]And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution!
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.[/highlight]

Oh, thus be it ever, when freemen [highlight]shall stand[/highlight]
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
[highlight]Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,[/highlight]
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust":
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

waving-flag.gif

--

Anyone have a problem with the fact the National Anthem is performed almost exclusively at Sporting events?

Have you heard the National Anthem performed anywhere else?

Maybe at Military Funerals or other miltary functions, but anywhere else?

I wonder if Francis Scott Key would have been a Football, Basketball, or Baseball fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back