Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The most correct way to migrate Quorum node to Softgate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omenas

Systems Engineer
Jan 9, 2020
LT
Hello,
We have OS4K V10R0 Separated Duplex installed on virtual machines. We are preparing to upgrade the system to version V10R1. Quorum node is currently installed by default in a virtual machine, but Quorum must be installed as a Softgate VM before upgrading.
What would be the best way to migrate the Quorum node to Softgate in order to stop the system for the shortest possible time (over 1000 subscribers anyway)?

If it was me -
I'd setup the 'new' system as a separate system - the 'old' system is then your fallback if anything happens.
So I would not 'migrate' the Quorum - I'd make a new SoftGate VM
Then you have 2 systems - when the changover time happens you turn off one and turn on the new one.
Any issues you revert.

Trying to install a whole new system seems very complicated to me (maybe I'm wrong), because then I have questions about IP addresses, Softgates, Branches, Survivable Softage, CODEW.....
There is one idea, but I have never tried it yet... and if I make a Quorum RISO, I turn off the quorum and standby node virtual machines, and switch the active node to standalone mode. We would then create a new VM with Quorum Softgate and restore the configuration from RISO. I wonder if that would work?

If the new system is not live then the IP addressing would be OK - however you could always give it new IP addressing and then after the changeover put back in the old IP addressing.
The CODEW comes from the licence and does not need to be put in manually any more - also it will last for 30 days before you do anything.
I guess your suggestion would work but it sounds to me that you need access to technical assistance which is beyond the scope of the forum here.

Regarding the licenses, I know everything, I just said CODEW, as an old code name :) The point is that we have large networks and large data centers where OS4K is installed, which means that it is necessary to employ more than one colleague in my question to change the network settings of the new system for installation. Therefore, we are looking for easier ways.
We have ordered a support service from the Unify representative in our country, but they also have not encountered such a situation before and are now trying to figure it out themselves. And for my part, I asked here, maybe someone here has already done it.

I have used the file upgrade method in the past but it did not work correctly and I ended up changing out hard drives anyway - yes you would need support from Unify to resolve such a large undertaking - good luck with it.

It needs to see 2 of the 3 nodes in the cluster to not restart. V10 R0 supports Quorum with softgate. So you could do that first. Shutdown the Quorum. Reinstall Quorum with softgate. If you are taking an existing working softgate shelf number with same IPs etc, shut down that shelf before you power up the Quorum. Not sure if your shelf ALI will change here, depends what else changed, but you have a month to rehost that license anyway. Now it's all up and working. Make sure all latest HFs are applied, and snapshot the hell out of it. Then transfer V10 R1 and let it make its preparation and autogendb tests, check if you have a problem. If all OK, go for it. Delete snapshots when all done.

The following sequence of actions was devised:
1. create the image of Quorum RISO
2. Shutdown Standby node
3. Switch active node to standalone mode
4. Shutdown Quorum node
5. Create a new VM with Quorum standard softgate OVF.
6. Install Quorum from the RISO image
7.Start Quorum and deactivate standalone mode
8. Start the second node.
What do you think?

I think you're going to be really disappointed when step 6 has finished and you have a Quorum, not a Quorum with Softgate.
And like I said, it needs to see 2 of the 3 nodes. You don't need to run node 1 in standalone.

Will be like regular Quorum, although installed on a VM built on Quorum with Softgate OVF?
And then if you install using the current Quorum firstinstall.xml file?

The OVF is just defining and customising the VM parameters to make sure the specification of the machine is correct for whatever you want it to do. If you deploy with a softgate ovf, it doesn't make it a softgate, it makes it suitable for a softgate. You make it a softgate by installing from the install ISO/USB with a correctly defined XML file.

You are trying to change the deployment type through a RISO image. Far as I'm aware, that is not supported. You can use a RISO to migrate HW, say from Eco to Eco2, but not the actual functionality of the box - that needs a new install. RISO is a backup/restore mechanism, and you are not restoring here, you are changing the deployment. I would suggest this needs a new install.

Besides, a softgate and a quorum are very simple, they are just as easy to install from the USB stick as they are from RISO. What I'm saying is, you really don't need a RISO for those devices even when nothing is changing. RISO is more useful when you need the database and configs such as from node1/node2, but with a Quorum or Softgate, as long as you have the XML and the install stick, you're good.

Is Quorum with Softgate necessary for the new V10R1 version? The rep says I don't need Softgate, I just need a bigger VM size for Quorum.

I see now. You mean you don't want a combined Quorum/Softgate - you just want to change the dimensioning due to the different requirements moving from V10 R0 to R1.

I understood you wanted to change to combined Quorum/Softgate.

So in this case you decide do you change to new Quorum spec before or after R1 update.

I'd probably do it before, then the R1 update goes smoothly. You can just shutdown the current Quorum and deploy new. Here your RISO would work I think because its only making a reinstall unless the NIC allocation is different, but again, the Quorum is a simple thing, you can also install just from the ISO with the correct XML.

Thanks for the help and advice.
Last week we reinstalled the Quorum VM from the RISO image and updated OS4K to V10R1.42.
The first reaction is that opening OpenWebStart not in the same browser but in a new window is a step backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back