Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The most bizarre XP file sharing issue to date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiernan

IS-IT--Management
Apr 30, 2003
US
I just set up a brand new PC on my local workgroup. I have three PCs on this workgroup: Homepc, Gamepc, and Laptop.

I've enabled file and print sharing on all machines. From the new machine (Homepc) I can browse the other shared drives just fine. No issues.

However, when I try to browse the C: drive on Homepc, I get a Connect to Homepc dialog box with a username and password field. The username is defaulted to HOMEPC\Guest and cannot be changed. The password box is blank.

That in itself is odd, as I've enabled simple file sharing and should not require any passwords to access the drive. The other odd part is the Homepc has two drives and the second drive is open to all without the dialog box. So only ONE drive is giving me this issue. One works fine, the other doesn't.

I've enabled and disabled file sharing on the affected drive, changed the computer name, changed the workgroup name, set permissions, etc. I've been around PCs for a long time, but I've never seen anything like this.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Not sure if it will help in your situation, but maybe worth a try;
Go to Local Security Policy > Security Options and set Accounts:Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only to Disabled

[Cheers]

disable simple file sharing. right click on the shared drive or folder and give "Everyone" full access in the Permissions and Security Options, Try to Access this drive again.
if it works, try Re enabling simple file sharing. the problem should be gone

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. However, neither worked.

Actually, disabling simple file sharing immediately puts the whole PC into password mode when browsing to it from another PC no matter what the permissions are set to. Turning it back to simple at least lets me have access to the printers and the second HDD.

I tried to disable simple file sharing, removed the share, rebooted, turned simple back on, re-shared. Still the same issue.

You need to enable the guest account on HomePC methinks.

The "Everyone" permissions only include authenticated users unless the guest account is enabled

Right Click on My Computer and click on Manage. Expand Local Users and Groups, Click on Users and you should see the Guest Account. Double click the Guest account and make sure the box is unchecked where is says Account is Disabled, then click ok. Right Click the Guest Account and click on Set Password, leave both fields blank and click Ok. You should be able to connect to that PC from the other PC's now with no problems.

Still no luck after enabling the Guest account and setting no password. This PC is just determined that I'm not going to be able to access the primary drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back