Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

doonage

MIS
Jun 27, 2002
ZA
The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, start Outlook again.

Does anyone know of a solution to this error message? I have tried using scanpst.exe and re creating the users profile to no avail.

Hi doonage:

I was receiving the same error message myself. I cleared out my Deleted Items Folder in Outlook 2000. Doing that, solved the problem for me. So, it might also work for you.

If that does not work, refer to the link below for more information.

I hope this helps

I had this problem, just right click on your personal folders icon, click on advanced, and check "allow upgrade to larger tables". Works like a charm.

Good luck

My outlook express was working fine until today...I am getting an error message -127 ....
it will not send or receive messages.

If the user attaches a document to an email then edits the attachment before sending it this error will happen.
This is a known bug and the fix microsoft sent me didn't work!
Also, if a message with an attachment is left for 3 mins and gets put in drafts this may occour.

Depending on what you were doing, here are 2 articles you can refer to...

Q222329
If you are sending mail to contact distribution list members

Q299380
If you are sending email attachment from another Office program

Hope this helps.

[noevil]

Tekistry,
What version does this editing attachments affect? The problem for me occured in OL 97 (yes had it patched up to 2 as well)

Thanks for that I followed MSKB articles referring to this error (such as damaged profile, etc.) and it kept coming back.
Now I am wondering if the user would edit an attachment out of habit every couple of weeks and think nothing of it to mention it. (Hell I didn't even think to ask if that was the case).
So Tekistry are the symptoms exactly the same? I.e. Stuck in outbox, the unknown error message.
Only solutions I got from MS worked but then the problem came back after a period of time. (sometimes months, sometimes weeks). i even wiped clean and reinstalled. Got it working for me but once it shipped out down the road the error would come back. Never found anyhthing about the Edit attachment causing the error. Do you happen to have a link to the article?

Have a good day.

Try Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q275186
I think it also applies to Outlook 97, but is not mentioned there!

Another one - I have also seen this error when outlook was used as a client for MS Mail - a user had made a distribution group from a mix of her own contacts and some groups of the Post Office Address List, I even replaced her PC and copied / rebuilt her .pst file.
It went away when she stopped using the distribution group.
Are you using Exchange or MS Mail?
Finally - never trust a user! ;-)
Nick

Interesting, doesn't refer to 97 though. Perhaps just never addressed or resolved in 97??????? I tried to post this to MS Newsgroup, public only I don't like posting to private unless a major problem (I don't want to be that person who posts private for every little problem, avoiding the Little Boy Who Cries Wolf Syndrome ;-)).
Never less it was never resolved in the public newsgroup so I saw your post and figured you had something there. Heck, you still may since the contributors on the MSNG had nothing to suggest so you are one up.
Anyway it has been awhile since the problem has occurred but out of natural curiousity I want to know what the problem is/was.
To answer your question, Person is actually just using Internet Mail service, pst, pab.

And yeah my answer to What happened??? is If I had my way and had a video camera montitoring you guys I could easiliy give you that answer. ;-).

Have a good day.

this is happening in outlook 2002. Any ideas? I have applied all available updates!

There is nothing the deleted items folder.

The error is: cannot move items. The messaging interface has returned an unknown error.

Any ideas?

Also, is it possible to run a repair on the PST file in outlook 2002?

Thanks guys

Pritska,

We had the same problem in Outlook 2002. We ran SCANPST and the Outlook public update associated with this error. Neither action fixed the problem. However, after updating with the public update we received a message stating the XXXXX.PST has reached its maximum size. I forgot whether we were trying to move or delete the file when we got the message.

We looked at the size of the PST and it was 1.9 GB plus. This particular machine is formatted FAT32. Apparently FAT32 has a 2 GB file size limitation. We were able to delete the file by selecting it, then holding down the shift key, and pressing DEL. This action permanently deletes the file instead of sending it to the Deleted Items folder.

Yes, I am sorry for not updating, but this is the answer. There is a 2Gb limit to a PST file. Good ole Microsoft products! Oh dear!

Hello folks,

Just wanted to add my $0.02 worth on this topic. I was having the same problem (receiving the error msg when trying to delete) with a backoffice computer in one of our stores running Outlook 2000. I deleted 9 items that were in the DRAFTS folder (most had attachments), and now everything works fine. PST size is around 115MB.

Christopher Ryan
cryan.at.colemans.ca
visit us online @

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back