Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The memory could not be "read" error

Status
Not open for further replies.

cinolas

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2002
CA
Howdy,

We have a Win2K server box running terminal services. Users of other offices log into TS and, using FileMaker Pro 5.0v3 (on the terminal server), connect to our FMP server.

We've been using this setup without a problem for over a year now. We have upgraded to the latest service pack (sp2 I believe) without a problem.

Out of the blue, users started getting the following error message when trying to connect to our dbs (the message pops up when the user selects the db from the host menu of FMP) :

The instruction at "0x77805ce7" referenced memory at "0x00213000". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate

I can replicate the problem but not all the time... similarily, users are getting this error message 80% of the time and not 100%.... sometimes it just works for no apparent reason....

What should I try ?

Thanks

Update:

We had sp3 installed.

The problem mainly (but not only) occurs with one specific remote office. Though the other offices have had the same problem and I could replicate it (not anymore) with TS through the LAN. I even replicated it directly on the TS server.

I didn't think it had anything to do with bad ram but, just to put it out of the way, we tried with different ram and it made no difference. Thought it could be useful for you to know.

Since this problem started occuring out of the blue 3 weeks ago, we decided to try to backtrack and uninstalled a bunch of hotfixes... still no change.... we're about to uninstall SP3...

Just trying everythin I can think of before low-level format...

Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED !

Do your Software that has the problem especially designed for working on W2k Platform?
What has changed on the termonal server since al worked perfectly?
Did this occured after a SP3 installation?

Victor K
psas@canada.com
MCSE+I;MCSA;MCSE(w2k);CNE(5.1);MCNE(6);CIWSP;CIWSA.

FileMaker 5.0 v3 is Win2k compatible.

We cannot associate the begining of this problem with any changes. We had sp3 installed for more than a month before the problem started.

Thanks

I'd still try and uninstall sp3. I've heard to many horror stories about it. What do you have in your event logs? Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"There is only one good: knowledge; and only one evil: ignorance."
Socrates (470- 399 BC); Greek philosopher.

Ok... I uninstalled sp3 and any pre-sp4 hot fixes...

The following messages were found in the event log, this is an old messy config so the errors might not be related to our problem... feel free to suggest other repairs/adjustments related to event logs.

Application Log :
---------------------

Every 5 minutes since before the problem started there is an event 1000 (source Userenv) and a 1202 (source n/a).

Any help or advice on what this problem might be would be appreciated. :)

In the system log there is a couple of TermServer device errors related to printer redirection but I don't think that's related.

I couldn't find anything else that looked like it might be related.

What's most puzzling with this problem (and somehow should be indicative) is the lack of consistency :

One the first day we had the same error message when logging in the terminal server from our ottawa office, our calgary office or locally (on the server itself) ALMOST every time. Then we couldn't replicate the problem locally anymore... The calgary office stopped getting the error message at all... And I can't seem to replicate the problem logging in the terminal server as the ottawa office user either from within the LAN or from home...

But still the ottawa office is getting the same error message MOST of the time...

I think we found the problem !

Turns out it was a printer problem !

It's just so happens that FileMaker was the first program to request page formats from the printer driver and so the problem would happen when opening a FileMaker db.

For the record :

We found that there was a conflict between a printer driver version on the remote computer and the printer driver on the terminal server.

We uninstalled the printer and everything went back to normal.

Why was the problem so inconsistent ? or why was it happening everywhere else (at some point) ? We haven't figured that part yet :)

Were not actually 100% sure that the problem is solved for good but we keep our fingers crossed.

Thanks for your help !

Update:

Let's all thank Jason R. for his finds on the cause of this problem. Jason wrote:

"It appears that it's a problem specific to HP drivers. Lexmark and Epson printers appear to be fine. After a little more digging I found that the error is with the hpz2ku04.dll print driver. This driver is installed on any downloaded hp drivers. So the solution we're using that's working (so far) is to install the 880c driver that comes with windows instead of the downloaded drivers for the 940c. You could in fact use any HP driver that is included with windows (if it's compatible with the printer) as they all use the unidrv.dll driver."

There also is a very long thread on this subject at thread621-27217.

James P. Cottingham

When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.
[tab][tab]Albert Einstein explaining his Theory of Relativity to a group of journalists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back