Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The media in the drive already has a valid On Media Label

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcevoyc

Technical User
Jul 13, 2006
GB
Failed to mount media with barcode XXX into drive XX in library Storagetek on host XXX. Reason: The media in the drive already has a valid On Media Label and is not a spare. Advise: Please check to see if the library configuration is correct.

Make sure that you have not switched barcodes on media.

Anyone seen this before ? I know the customer hasn't changed bar code labels.

try manually ejecting, putting into a slot and then reset the library or run a "Full scen"

I know there was a patch for this in 5.9
Is the customer running 5.9 SP4 or are they running 6.1?

try manually ejecting, putting into a slot and then reset the library or run a "Full scen"

I know there was a patch for this in 5.9
Is the customer running 5.9 SP4 or are they running 6.1?

5.9 sp4 , would u happen to know the patch number ? I'm talking to Commvault tech support at present and they're talking about dirty heads , I think this is a wild goose chase, as I'm seeing this problem on different sites and the heads have been cleaned.

I had this problem. What we'd done was relabel a bunch of media with new barcodes. What we didn't know was that CV writes its own On Media Label to the tape when it read the orginal barcode... so t hey didn't match. And for some reaon i just could NOT get CV to erase or overwrite the oml. So in the end i got the relabeled tapes, deleted their barcodes, ran a normal old MS backup onto the tapes to overwrite the OML label and then threw them ack into the library. It read the codes, re wrote the new OML and then worked fine. Now a prefect solution as it takes time to do evena small backup onto the tapes to erase the OML but it works.

Armchair Jedi ~ So dense light bends around him ;-)

according to CV tech support evrytime there is a hardware change or you take a library offline , there's the possibility the o/s & CV will get their wires crossed (scsi isn't plug & play) and OML will go to the wrong media.In effect this will make any data on the tape unuseable.

The moral of the story , if u make ANY change at all u should reboot the media server.On the site in question there have been no h/w swaps , but I'm sure the library has been offline the odd time and hasn't been followed by a reboot.

I'm taking this with a pinch of salt, I'm also worried about the rest of the customers media.

This from a CV guy:

"An OML error basically means that we did not read the barcode we were
expecting on the tape. A simple example would be if the physical
barcode was swapped, or if the tape got formatted.

If you're experiencing a large number of OML issues this probably
wouldn't be the case, the best way to check would be to have a look at
the cvma.log on the media agent to see what we actually read from the
tape. One scenario i can think of would be if there was a firmware
upgrade done on the library that caused the reported tape label to
change from something like 000123 to 000123L1.

We recently had a tape label issue. Upon investigation we fould when opening/closing the the library door to export media the library was not initiating a scan. This caused the slotmap not to get updated in the CV gui. We now reset the library in the CV gui to ensure the slotmap is updated correctly. No problems since. It's a samll hassle but its an old library.

I have reused barcodes on new media before. To get around the OML errors we had to enable When Content Verification Fails. This way when the Verify OML fails upon mounting a new tape a new OML would be written.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back