Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Magnificent Via Chipset fouls again.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

canix

Technical User
Jun 1, 2000
US
Ok... I know that Via mobo always need to be tweeked before they work fine.... but now I am going to use thing for skeet-shooting practice.

Here is my prob... This has been intermitent for me and devestating for others, but here goes.. I reload my machine with 98se and sometimes I get an instant reboot, or a nice littel lock-up with distortion at the top of the screen right before windows finishes loading the desktop.

Now, sometimes I load windows and it never happens, others It gets real bad. I have only seen this happen with AMD's, {k7z and tbirds}. But I really don't think thats the prob since It happens on and off...

Just so ya know.. it still happens even If if falsh the bios and run the 4.36 patch. I am not using ati cards here either. Course I have a creative SB live. but that is not consistant between others and mine.

Anyone who can solve this one derserves to be on the guru list...

Thanx to all
~CaNiX~ Those who seek me, must first seek the storm and the wolf who lerks within it.

I KNOW THIS MIGHT SOUND ABIT OBVIOUS CANIX, BUT HAVE YOU CHECKED YOUR CPU SETTINGS IN THE BIOS, I HAD EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM FOR A WEEK, I GOT SO ENGROSSED WITH THE PROBLEM I MISSED THE OBVIOUS.THE "MAKE" WAS IN THERE BUT THE SPEED WASN'T (IT WAS GREYED OUT)HOW THIS HAPPENED I DON'T KNOW, BECAUSE THE SYSTEM WAS GETTING USED DAILY WITH NO PROBLEMS, as soon as i put the speed back in everything worked fine.HOPE THIS HELPS

I can't say a word until I have more information on ALL the hardware in the system.

What mainboard ?
What video card ?
What CPU ?

NIC ?
MODEM ?

ETC.......

BTW: for an OLDER Via Athlon board, ANYTHING before the KT266A ......... you don't even have to load up the VIA 4in1..... oh, no.....
JUST THE VIA AGP .... and that would be version 4.10 which you can downoad and run seperately.

>> Fresh install of Win98 SE
Steps I follow after booting up to windows:

1) Reboot again,,,,
2) Run REGCLEAN
3) *** VIA 4in1 -------- OR,,,,, VIA AGP 4.10
> REBOOT
4) DIRECTX 8.1
> REboot
5) VIDEO CARD drivers,,,,,,,,, Nvidia for me (only) screw all the rest of the problems associated with ATI

That's how I do it........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back