Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Machine XXX violated dist. policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

donman

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2001
US
I have some machines (running 98 2nd edition mostly) that constantly give me this error:

The machine NETMAN has violated distribution policy, setting to conform with policy Admin Signature Policy.

The machine name of course changes. I have deployed this to at least 100 95/98 machines but only a few of these actually come up with this error? The others work fine.

Anyone have a clue as to why only a few machines would do this?

Oh I am running Inoculate 6.0 on these.

Thanks

Don Hickey

Hi,
check that there is no local distribution policy configured on the client. That will resolve in such an error.

I had the same problem with the messaging policy.
The policy was set to send an alert to 'MYSERVER' (uppercase), while the clients had 'myserver' (lowercase).

I first changed the policy to something else, and then back to 'MYSERVER', and at this time the errors disappeared.

When adding additional servers to the organization (on which this policy was active), the same problem occured for this new servers. For this server, I saw again 'myserver'.

Solution:
I change the name in the policy to 'servername' and now it's solved.

Hope this can help you.

Don;
Reading from experience on InoculateIT, a possible cause of that error message could be:
1) End user(s) of the particular PC(s) have altered the InoculateIT configuration using the local interface (Start, Programs, InoculateIT). Though the policies of the InoculateIT Master server will over-write whatever changes made by the clients , it will still record it on its events/alert logs (provided you choose that option in your Alert configuration).

2) To mitigate future problem, disable the clients' ability to make changes locally by taking the following steps:
(i) from the InoculateIT master server (admin view)
(ii) expand Enforced Policies, Signature Distribution
(iii) rit-click clients' group, select edit,
(iv) from "Policy tab" check the box that reads, "Lock Settings"
# This may take couple of network rediscovery/client updates to take effect on all the clients.
goodluck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back