Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Internet in five years 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunthnp

MIS
Dec 28, 2000
US
Here is something I have not seen talked about yet.

where will the internet be in five years? How will we get to it? What will it be? So long and thanks for all the fish.

i'm not sure telco controls all the physical path (i thought it was level3 for atlantic backbones for instance) - and still, if you use p2p for instance you might connect directly phone lines, and now we're about to use electrical lines - and how about those who use lasers or radio waves - no, nobody can control the whole stuff :)))

Ever tryed to push an elephant? So it will not go anywhere for a while...

It will only be more sophisticated.

A few years ago, you could make a internetpage with a simple tekstbrowser, nowadays we need professional programmers!

Greetings,

M. BigMag, The Netherlands.
someone@euronet.nl (no kidding!)

iza:

It seems to me that wheter its telco, wireless, laser or radio wave, someone has to own the infrastructure that is either the physical gateway or network upon which our information travels. The owners of the infratstructure are the ones that can excercise the most control, which is why (in the US at any rate) we have so much conflict between business or the government controling infrastructure.

pivan

WWTDD In not now, when?
If not here, where?
If not us, who?

Just do it!!

that's right : private companies owns the physical network but the governments are trying to control it ...
makes me wonder, i've been in a country where the internet is heavily censored (do you say censored ? i mean, where there is a high censorship on the internet, a lot of sites get 'blocked' - and in the meantime your adress is monitored ....), and the government does NOT own the network - but it controls the isp (yes here's only one so it's easier to monitor !!!). Thus people can 'escape' censorship by calling servers abroad (this is expensive but then you can reach not censored sites) or by using satellite communication (even better, as it's kind of easy to listen to phone lines, but their govnmt isn't doing so yet). They also use anonymyzer and spoof their ip's and sometimes jump from anonymous proxy to anonymous proxy ...
we in "free" countries are not realizing how lucky we are to be surfing so easily and freely, even if ... ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back