Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The home setup Wizard (WinXP) by itself won't do 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

claudiuiacob

Technical User
Mar 24, 2005
RO
I have two PCs, running WinXp to Win98, respectively. Both have the same type of Ethernet Adaptors and the correct cable between.

I ran the "The home setup Wizard" provided by XP under both machines. The wizard "completed successfully" on both, but:

- the Win98 machine shows me only the local station under "Network Neighborhood"

- the WinXP shows me no computer under "My Network Places", but displays an icon with "local area - connected", with a number of Kbytes "sent" and 0 "received".

I would greatly appreciate if you can tell me were was I wrong.

well, what do you have a router or a hub or is it a direct cable from xp to 98.

I should mention that you would have to share something to be recognized by xp. for instance right click on a folder on 98 go to sharing, then share the folder. if all else fails go to start then search then search for whatever the computer name is on 98.

trying to link 98 and xp can be a real pain sometimes, but you should be good.

one last ? is what is your intentions, to share files? or to share internet connection? remote desktop?

I have no router or hub, just two PCs directly linked.

I have shared files on both machines, and neither recognizes the other one, nor via "network Neighborhood/My Network Places" nor via "Find -> Computer Name". :(

I want to share files (both ways) and a printer on the Win98 computer. I do not necesarely need to share my dialup Internet conection :)

ahh to link from one comp to another you will need a CROSSOVER ethernet cable, not a standard cat 5 cable. Think of your ethernet cable looking in the mirror--the send and receive wires would be crossed. the only reason for a crossover cable is linking to pc directly via ethernet

by the way, you will still get a link (light) with a standard cable but will have no data transfer

good luck
peace

Well, I told the guys at the computer store twice to make a "twisted pair" cable (that is "crossover", right?), and now that you repeat it, I'll go tomorow and ask them wich way they put the jacks...

But I'm pretty sure that's not the problem... I specifically told the guy that I'm gona link two computers directly...

Anyway, thanks a lot you keep answering me :)

I asked and I was assured that the jacks are wired the proper way. However, when I look the jacks, I can see that not *all* the wires are reversed.

So, is that wrong? If I have eight wires, "crossover" means necessarily something like this below?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

anyway, If not (as I believe), where could be the problem in configuration (on the software side)?

Cable is OK. On the PC running XP I made a dual boot (Win98/XP), and while running Win98 on both, PCs have no trouble seeing each other.

Thanks for the pdf, I'll go studying it.

Big thanks, it works!

Now, looking back, I believe I got a lot of "help" from my good old firewall that I omitted to disable :p

I mean, it was the reason my computers weren't seeing each other for, even when network setting were right. Yes, there is an "allow this IPs" list, but I just wasn't curious enough to investigate that sort of weird things :))

Once again, big thanks Stuuked, you've been of great help to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back