Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'The Handle is Invalid' error when trying to save my report

Status
Not open for further replies.

yehong

Programmer
Sep 22, 2003
US
CR8.5 on Windows XP and SQL server.
Trying to save my report and keep getting 'The Handle is Invalid' error. Has anyone encountered this error before and any cause and solution to this?

Sounds like a corrupt Crystal Report...

You might try saving it under another name, and in Crystal 7 version.

Hopefully you've been versioning as you went along so you have a previous version to revert to. In which case you might try deleting some objects in this report and then saving.

This is usually a baaaaaad sign.

If the error isn't precisely as how you've posted it, it might no be so grave, so please post accordingly.

-k

That is the only error that i am getting. This morning I was able to make changes to some files and save it but not able to save a new report.

Try another new report, it will probably allow it.

Report files become corrupt sometimes, that's why you should save under a different version name often.

-k

I had the same exact problem. Never happened to me until I upgraded to XP SP2. Locate your crw32.exe file, right click and select properties. Go to the compatibility tab, check 'Run this program in compatibility mode for' and select Windows 2000. Open up your report again and then try to save.

I think that might be the reason the coz I just installed sp2 and after that crystal started behaving like that. I had also installed Crystal SP3 and now I have removed it and everything seems to be working ok now. I guess if someone has Crystal SP3 and Windows XP SP2, then probably we need to do the compatibility procedure that you just described.

I had this problem and posted a message separately on the General forum.

Someone kindly provided an answer that did not involve uninstalling SP2.

Find the program CRW32.exe in the c:\Program Folders\Seagate Software\Crystal Reports folder

Right click and set the property. Click the "Compatibility" tab and tick "Run This Program in Compatibility Mode" for Windows 2000

That fixed the problem for me.

Editor and Publisher of Crystal Clear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back