Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Future Computer 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajetrumpet

Technical User
Jun 11, 2007
US
Anyone want to comment on the computer environment that we saw in "Minority Report"? The stock market wizards seem to think that this is the next big step for interface. Anyone think we'll get there soon? An interface based on the user's hand motions?? I see voice recognition as the next "kick", that still has a long way to go, like the "Demolition Man" movie!

-J

Ah thank you for that spoof clip, it was excellent :)

Carlsberg don't run I.T. departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Did you happen to see the BSOD on there with the surface spoof on youtube? Hahaha...

Burt

The problem with speech recognition is that speech has no spaces. Listen to someone talk and you will notice that the sound can be construed as one unit. The "space" in speech, properly placed, is a breath, but separates thoughts or phrases, not words.

I'll stick to the keyboard. A keypress, given the proper character set, is unequivocal.

um.. err. perhaps... well maybe um I well it's like this.. umm when I tt ttt talk, people tend, like um to filter um filter out all the um (sneezes) gobbledegook um that I say. I mean, um (wipes nose, door slams in background) what we errr hear, um, isn't really, um really like what um we thought we said.

A pet peeve of mine when people the words "um" or "like" all the time when they're talking. Is really distracting.
Any word editor with a grammar checker would have a field day on their speech.

~
Give a man some fire, he will be warm for a day, Set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life.

And there are those pesky homonymns. To deal with those, you will need a contextual database.

Now, was that "Give me a new display", or "Give me a nudist play"?

Tibi gratias agimus quod nihil fumas.

Comments on the tech in Demolition Man anyone? I loved this things they knocked you out with.
I think the cops are working on such devices now, so they don't have to shoot people anymore if they get out of hand...

It's a perfectly valid example. Voice recognition, especially for English (which has so many homonymns), still has a long way to go. It will never be 100% accurate, because the language is always evolving.

Tibi gratias agimus quod nihil fumas.

Like at 1-411..."Say a city and state.." "Okay---what listing?"..."Domino's Pizza"..."Okay...please hold while I transfer you to an operator..."
Hell, I could have done that...
"Please listen to our menu, as it has recently changed..."
sure it has...I press zero...
"Sorry, that number is not an option at this time..."
Or...
"For technical support, say 'technical support'..."
I say, "technical support"...
"Okay---sales...please hold while I transfer you to sales..."
Click.

Burt

Reminds me of using voice entry in Word. The experience varies from frustrating to hilarious.

Re: Voice Recognition

If you are in the U.S., try 1-800-555-TELL

Most amazing voice recognition I've ever seen.

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

You know what? Part of the reason I became a tech in the first place is because that's just how my mind operates. Now part of the motivation to do what I have done in the field is due to the old addage..."If you want something done right, ya gotta do it yourself!"
I also did not like paying for things that needed to be done when I had the skills and know-how to do them myself---a luxury not too many people on this planet have. I have therefor and thankfully have rarely had to call for service on anything, be it cars, stereos, televisions, computers, internet technologies---you get the picture.
All of this leads me to ask one important question...out of all the service people that answer the phone or work at a help desk, how many actually have a lot of hands-on? In other words, if this were taken as a rhetorical question, it seems that the ones I have called (especially the outsourced techies) get their technical "savvy" (or whatever it is) simply out of a book or from a college degree.
Now that's MY 2 cents and THEN some!

Burt

The problem as I've often said is that helpdesk is often the starting point in any IT career. Therefore by it's nature, it's low paid and has underqualified staff, as decent ones move on in their careers.

You pay peanuts.....

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

You don't get it guys.

The future is in touch-screen based virtual keyboards that adapt to every specific tasks and maximize input efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back