Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The file is damaged and could not be repaired 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikePalm

Programmer
Feb 6, 2002
US
Whenever I try to view a file in internet explorer with Adobe Acrobat Reader the following message is displayed:

'The file is damaged and could not be repaired'.

Any suggestions on what is happening.

My question would be...

First, does this happen with every pdf file, every pdf from a particular source, or with just one file.

Second, what version of Reader and Internet Explorer are you using.

Third, what Operating System are you using.

Forth, have you searched the Adobe Support Knowledgebase. If you haven't that's the first placed I'd start. Most problems can be solved by searching through their knowledgebase.

Last, my guess would be that you are using Reader 4.0 and there is problems with the plug-ins that allow the browser to open pdf's correctly. But, without knowing answers to some of the questions above...it's hard to tell.

Hope that helps!

This only happens on certain files. There is nothing fancy goin on with the files. Odly enough files that have form fields in them and data is being passed to the form, are displaying properly. These are forms that where converted from Word using the Adobe Acrobat Distiller program.

The version of Adobe I am using is 5.0. The version of Internet explorer is: 5.50.

I am using Windows 2000 professional as an operating system.

I have searched the Adobe Knowledge base and found nothing.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Thanks for the info...I'll think about some possible culprits and get back to you later (since I'm starting to get busy).

Ok, here's everything I can find or think of...Adobe and Microsoft both appear to indicate that the plug-ins Acrobat Reader 5.0 installs may not be read properly from the registry. It also appears that they suggest re-installing the Adibe software to ensure that the plug-ins are correctly installed.

If it were me...I may look at probleming solving further to ensure that the pdf's are created correctly. Can they be opened in Acrobat Reader without the browser. If not, then the problem lies with the files and more than likely their creation (recreate them). In my experience, I've found that most of the corrupt files I get in pdf format are due to some whacked-out setting during creation or the method of creation in the first place.

Oh yeah, I did hear something about pdf's being pulled off a file server (network) and whether or not they compressed and/or were ftp'd to it when they were loaded. Apparently this causes problems (which I've never came across).

I know it's surely not a exact solution to your problem...but, at least I'm trying!

I had a Response.Redirect to a pdf file which resulted in the same problem. A work around helped. I used a meta tag instead: Response.Write(&quot;<meta http-equiv=&quot;refresh&quot; content=&quot;0;URL=path to pdf file>&quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back