Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Evil Undeletable Hearts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanCCC

Technical User
Aug 9, 2002
US
I have deleted MSHEARTS.EXE from Windows/system32 but it keeps coming back!

Any ideas how to put the wooden stake through this evil program once and for all?

dan

Aah, Games! I have been to Add/Remove Programs looking for Hearts but did not look at games.

I'll go home and see if it's there.

Thanks,

dan

There is no Games category in my Add/Remove Programs under WinXP.

Anyone else know how to get rid of MSHearts?

dan

If you are wanting to remove all of the windows games then do the following.

Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Click Add/Remove Windows Componants > Highlight Accessories > Click the Details Button > Untick Games > Click Ok > Click Next

All windows games will then be removed.

If you want to just remove the Hearts game then you can simply delete the shortcut and c:\windows\system32\mshearts.exe file.

This is one of few pieces of software that does not require an uninstallation procedure.

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

Doh - I should think before posting. Windows File Protection will reinstate the file at the next login. Like you said above. I am looking into a way of stopping this from happening, without disabling WFP.

Greg Palmer

From what I have read, if you also delete the file from c:\windows\system32\dllcache then it will not re reinstated at your next boot.

Greg Palmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back