Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The enable/disable internet connection icon 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelljack

Technical User
Dec 23, 2001
US
I am not sure this is the right forum but I will post here anyway. Maybe someone will give me some help.

I need the icon on the taskbar that shows up when the computer is connected to the internet. I am having a terrible time finding out even what it is called, let alone on how to get and install it.

My PC hdd went and when I put 98se on I can no longer find the icon or even to make a shortcut. This icon allowed you to connect or disconnect from the internet without physically turning off the power to the PCs internet device. It also shows flickering lights on two computers when there is activity between the PC and the web or email.

I will aprreciate any help I can get. Sorry if I posted on the wrong forum but I didn't know what topic it would be under. Since a NIC is hardware I thought I'd be close enough here.

Control Panel, Network Connections, Show Icon on Task Bar.
You can also use Device Manager, Network Adapters, Properties.

Thanks bcastner, but 98se does not show these options. Any other clues?

My Computer, Dial Up Networking, select your connection and look in properties, you will find an option to enable or disable the icon

Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.
All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

I am on a wireless connection. I do not have a modem setup or a modem icon in Dial-up Networking.

I know there is something out there in the internet world that we should be able to get that puts a email notification icon on the taskbar and it also allow one to enable or disable the connection inside the OS instead of physically turning off the electrical power every time. I have other periperhals on the power strip too.

Thanks for your help. I will post any helps if found.

nelljack,

You are absolutely right things like email notification and control of your wireless connection should show up on the task tray as icons.

There is a kind of long way to handle this and a short way:

1. Short way. Re-install the wireless software, your email client, your modem software. You just changed to a new hard disk drive, and you have to manually restore the non-Microsoft Win98 software you installed on your old hard disk eons ago.

2. Long way. You use MSCONFIG and make new startup entries after checking that no one or no thing has fooled around with your settings. I hope in your case that some one or some thing has just disabled those startup entries.

Make sure you logon to the machine in a formal way. No hitting the Escape key, no clicking on cancel. Either a legitimate password, the Enter key, or a Mouse click on Okay.

OK. Here goes. I have 2 new hdds with a completely new win98se OS installed. There is no modem or wireless software. MS Outlook Express is also brand new (downloaded).

The wireless uses IP addresses with specified DNS numbers. I had to disable the TCP/IP adapter because the wireless won't work otherwise. Besides, I have no 56K modem installed that I know of but the adapter keeps showing up. I have checked the BIOS and disabled the PNP and let the machine do its thing on devices. That too did not get rid of the adapter. So I disabled it and all is working now.

When I had XPH on the old hdds there was an icon on the taskbar that showed when I was connected or new email came in. I didn't even have to have the sound on to see there was new mail. I could also turn off the connection using a icon on the desktop (so the settings would stay in the box on the wall).

I appreciate all of your help. I think I am at a point where I will call it quits. I am not familiar enough with msconfig to mess with it. I will just live with the limitations of 98se. At least all is working and I'll not mess with anything that might cause me more problems. 3 weeks is enough.

The only thing I need to do now is finish getting the updates. I guess I can find out how at the forum.

Thanks so much bcastner, I have learned a bunch. Have a great day. Many kudos to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back