Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The dumbest question ever - 25-pair cable 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacLeopard

IS-IT--Management
Jun 16, 2006
US
I got my Norstar 6x16 today and unfortunately I've got the dumbest question ever. It's my first KSU/PBX so I'm not sure about much.

What exact cable do I need to plug in phones directly to the Norstar? I don't want to mess with my wiring.

TIA

Two solutions I thought of - would they work?

1) Buy a phone wallplate, which will include the wire connectors on the back of it, and plug the wiring in just like internal wiring. As far as the Norstar is concerned, it's internal wiring.

(On the back of a wallplate there's the wires from the telco, so if I just took those wires and replaced them with Norstar wires is what I'm saying)

2) This is expensive, and I'm not sure if it would work:

TIA

You need a cable with a Amp connector on both ends and a 24 port RJ11 panel.

The panel I use is a Leviton Cat 49012-J24

one end of the cable plugs into the KSU the other end plugs into the 49012-J24.

I think the one your showing is just a blank panel, you would need to add the RJ11 plugs into it. The one I listed in my other post already has the RJ11's installed. There are many type's of adapter's that you could use.

If I get a 48-port patch panel, can I do anything with the other ports (other than the 16 ports)?

Thank you!

- ML

I found a 6-conductor patch panel as well. Are there any additional features that are exclusive to 6-conductor?

TIA

(And sorry for asking such stupid questions!)

you only want a 2 conductor patch panel like I posted.

Isn't a regular phone cable 4 wires? (2 lines)

Sorry to be such an idiot. I'm learning. I'm waiting on a patch panel and the proper cables and everything, and hopefully I'll be set up soon.

Thank you!

- ML

Mac, since this is your 1st ksu install - hire a technician who knows the system! You'll get the job done right the first time & some invaluable training too. It's more than just plugging in a phone (I've seen your other posts).

Look at it this way - How Much Is Your Time Worth?

How many hours do you want to waste posting questions here, reviewing responses to get the right answer, hopefully getting the right parts, possibly having to buy new tools, posting more questions about programming & wasting more time trying to get the phones to work correctly?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you have had plenty of instruction & training to get to your position in IT Mgmt. But this field of work requires a good telecom technician - he does this type of work every day.

I see this all the time with my customers. The "thrifty" business owner wants the IT-guy to learn how to do phone work, so I instruct him on how to setup a mailbox, for instance. A couple of months later he tries it on his own, but forgot some steps, and calls me back to fix his mistakes. Don't be penny wise & pound foolish. Hiring a trained pro for a few hours is always a good investment.

Good luck with whatever choice you make!

I'd hire someone if it were a business, but I'm setting this one up to learn things and then I can go on to businesses.

Once I get a phone and the patch panel/cable, it should be much easier to learn things (since I could actually use it, heh).

One last question - does anyone find better call quality with a panel that uses an Amphenol cable or is it better if I terminate it (wire it) myself?

Now I promise I'll set it up and start learning from Nortel docs and everything :)

TIA!

TDM does not care either way. But I am in agreement that this is not the best forum to learn the most asolute basics. We all start somewhere, but if you are learning stuff this basic by posting to a forum your learning curve will be steep and a lot of the experienced people will not respond to you posts. And they are the ones you want to learn from. If you are not getting formal training at least get a friend in the business to help you out. If you have no friends in the business hire someone. If you really want to learn and be any good you sometimes have to invest a little in your education.

Hope I am not coming off to blunt. But I feel very strongle that a job worth doing is worth doing right. This equipment is so solid that it will work even with a bad install, it just drives me crazy how many bad installs I see.

I can definitely fully understand. I'm using the docs now to get info. I also am going to stick with an amp cable since it is easier.

Thank you

I see this all the time with my customers. The "thrifty" business owner wants the IT-guy to learn how to do phone work, so I instruct him on how to setup a mailbox, for instance. A couple of months later he tries it on his own, but forgot some steps, and calls me back to fix his mistakes.

I'm in a situation similar to what you describe (IT guy expected to handle everything that even remotely smells like IT) and I've got to say: the IT guys you're dealing with sound like idiots. Setting up a mailbox isn't rocket science, and the documentation is pretty idiot proof.

When we put our MICS in three years ago, I made it a point to block out time to be with the techs whenever they were on site, ask questions about what they were doing (and more importantly, why) and to do some of the work myself with the techs looking on. I also went through the trouble of reviewing the manual set before we did the cutover. I would not dream of being responsible for a new piece of equipment without doing all of the above. Anybody who feels differently is going to run into trouble, and, as you note, is being penny wise, but pound foolish.

That's stupid. Setting up a simple MAILBOX seems like one of the easiest things to do in the key system world. (On Asterisk, I believe that was adding a line or two to a config file)

- ML

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back