Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The document name or path is not valid

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulywog

IS-IT--Management
Jun 26, 2001
US
I have a user who is getting this message when trying to open a Word 2000 document. No matter what we do, inserting the file into another document, movig the file to another place on the server, etc. It still gives the same message. Any ideas?

Go to the thread listing in the Office forum. There is an FAQ tab at the top.

Is it one particular file or any file? If one particular file does it contain any links to another file? If any document have you tried renaming the normal.dot file and letting it recreate itself? joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Same thing happened to 1 of my doc.... It has no link to any doc but it has a lot of graphs. So something corrupted?

Thanks

This message is often caused when the document name contains spaces. Usually, the message reappears several times depending on how many spaces are in the name.
The solution is to click on My Computer, then go to Tools>Folder Options>File Types. Scroll down to the extension of the document type you are trying to open. Select it then click Advanced button, the double click on OPEN.
Under "Application used to perform action", scroll to the end of the path in the window. At the end of the line will be something like /r or /e or something similar. Delete the /r or /e and replace it with "%1" (quotation marks included). This will set up your file associations to look at long names when trying to open files.

Thanks, dckrowns.

After making the changes you suggested...

Why does Word ask if I want to revert to the saved "filename' now every time when i open a file?

Thanks

I am also facing this similar problem. I have users who are using English and arabic language. When they save their work with arabic file name. They get this error "The document name or path is not valid " error while opening directly through windows explorer but if they open with word file open then it opens. If the file is english name then its no problem. Please help me its urgent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back