Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The DMS100 vs 5ESS conversation... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

phonesaz

Vendor
Dec 18, 2006
US
I was called to a site that actually has DMS100 in their system as the switch type and it works...except for that lately they are dropping calls. I cleared the errors (because there were so many) but didn't do much else because if it has been working for years this way, and just started having problems, I don't think the DMS100 is the problem.

The dropping continues, so the CLEC (who is my contact on this - I do troubleshooting on Avaya stuff for them) sent me back out to replace the board. They have 2 T1's - one is a P2P that goes upstairs in the same building - with identical cards so I just swapped them and did a board renumber - no programming changes - checked to make sure there were no new errors and went on my way (the CLEC also had a company replace the feed cable since they have checked everything else they can think of.)

Now LD calls won't complete. They dial a number, and after a while it just completes to silence - no waveoff tones of any type.

I am leaning strongly toward these are all CLEC problems - but am looking for any input or thoughts that would suggest otherwise. Also - with regard to my title - why is this working as DMS100 when I have been told for years it won't work? And if in fact it does, would the rest of the setup be the same, except the ATT Custom becomes NM2 (or whatever the Nx1, Nx2 options are)?

If in fact the LD continues to drop after the CO has worked on it, would monitor show whether or not a dialed number was leaving the switch and hitting the network? Thanks to all - D

The 'Switch Type' can be DMS or 5ESS, as long as both ends are the same. The protocol MUST be 'Custom', not NI1 or NI2. It sounds as if the CLEC has changed the protocol, my guess is to NI2.

So if the protocol was changed, why would that cause random call loss and not total call loss? And would it affect the LD only? Thanks - D

Reoomend you look @ faq689-3784

45 years in the business and counting.

Where does that answer the ?? about effects of protocol mismatch? (N12 vs Custm). That is really all I am wondering about right now - is there anything in the protocol that would say hello I am going to work most of the time but act up about once a day. The LD issue will be easier to trace. Thanks - D

Copied for this site: "If the CO is a DMS 100 and/or DMS 250 make sure they have Variant= NTNAPRI, (L1 flags in Trunk Sub Group = Yes) If set to ‘NO’ the D channel will act problematic "
That said; I have had Merlin's "talk" to switches that were setup with NI2 but the connection didn't last. You must have the provider verify, not from records, from the switch that the protocol is AT&T Custom. nothing else will work.
And yes the field L1FLAG in table TRKSGRP must be set to yes (Y). L1FLAG is a layer 1 flag
AT&T custom is U-459 in the DMS-100/250 LT_DEF
Some new Nortel CO can't do this, but whatever they do to be AT&T custom seems to work.

I know this isn't real clear, but I have spent many hours discussing this with LEC's & CLEC's with no absolute clear answer other than "send me AT&T custom"

Good luck

45 years in the business and counting.

phonesaz,

memphisribs is absolutely correct! If the protocol is wrong it may talk for a short time or not at all. For example, you are speaking English with someone that has a very heavy accent and broken English, and you are trying to converse. You may or may not understand what they are trying to say, or get the wrong idea or information. Using the wrong protocol would be similar to this. The clec DMS200 tech should be able to look up the Trunk Groups for the DCH and BCHs, then monitor and check the parameters and make sure they are correct. They can also monitor the DCH messages as to what is being communicated between the DMS200 and the Legend/Magix.

What new alarm errors are being reported by the Legend/Magix? That should tell you something.

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back