Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'The directory name is invalid'

Status
Not open for further replies.

anrver

Programmer
Jun 24, 2002
CH
Hi,
I'm trying to set up a PHP/MySQL environment. When I make a preview of my pages, wich include some PHP code, I receive the following message : The directory name is invalid.

The configuration is as follow :
Windows XP Pro
IIS 5.1 installed
MySQL 4.0 installed and active
PHP 4 installed
My SQL ODBC driver installed (My HTML editor needs a ODBC connection to retrieve the database structure)

I already checked the following :

In the Internet Information Service Administration Tool:
Application Mapping : .php is mapped to the correct executable.

In the PHP.ini file :
extension_dir is pointing to the correct directory.

I guess there must be a problem with the PHP interpreter. Can anybody help me on this?
Thanks.

Please post more details about the error message.

What do you do before it happens?
Who/what reports the error?

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I use Namo 5.0 as HTML editor. I've created a .php page with following code :

<html>
<head>
<title>No title</title>
<meta name=&quot;generator&quot; content=&quot;Namo WebEditor v5.0&quot;>
</head>
<body bgcolor=&quot;white&quot; text=&quot;black&quot; link=&quot;blue&quot; vlink=&quot;purple&quot; alink=&quot;red&quot;>
<p> </p>
<?php
$link = mysql_connect(&quot;ANRPC370&quot;, &quot;root&quot;, &quot;&quot;)
or die(&quot;No connection: &quot; . mysql_error());
print (&quot;Connected&quot;);

mysql_close($link);
?>
</body>
</html>

When I launch Internet Explorer from within my editor to see a preview then I receive the following message :
'The directory name is invalid.' This message is generated in a HTML page, so no popup window from XP.

I'm a total novice is this mather so probably I overlooked something very basic.
My intention is to simulate a MySQL server on my PC so that I can devellop some database applications. After that, I intend to publish them my webspace.

I hope this will help you.
Kind Regards

If you view source do you see any of your plain HTML tags?

Namely

<html>
<head>
<title>No title</title>
<meta name=&quot;generator&quot; content=&quot;Namo WebEditor v5.0&quot;>

If you don't, I'd suggest the problem is in your configuration of your HTML editor.

I don't know anything about Namo, but there's a chance it won't do PHP displays for you, you may need to actually put your php files into a directory your IIS server can serve up, then point to it that way.

-Rob

There is an easy fix to this. the iis server cannot read your go to your directory and right click on it. go to properties and select the security tab. click add and then scroll down to the person named: IUSR_(computer name). Click add and then ok. set the permissions you want and click ok. this should fix everything for you.

Just back from holydays.

Placing my files into a IIS directory did solve the problem indeed.

Many thanks for your help

Erik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back