Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Digerati

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCenturion

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
Who in here is a member of the digerati?

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

==> sometimes used neutrally!!????
It means that it is neither a compliment, nor a put down, to be considered a member of the digerati. The suffix '-ati' is, in this case, neutral.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Or, with the (MIS) behind my name on every post, would I be a Miserati?

/while dreaming of a Maserati....

[auto]

Someone please stop me.

Dollie,

Too funny. Are you on Kerr Drugs (that's a very, very local joke).

Tim [er, smilies & all]

P.S.: I'm president of the Bacardirati... rum for improvement, and all that.

PPS: the "Kerr" in local pharmacy "Kerr Drugs" is pronounced "Car." Perhaps they hoped to serve those with autoimmune syndromes.

[blue]______________________________________________________________
I love logging onto Tek-Tips. It's always so exciting to see what the hell I
said yesterday.
[/blue]

silentaiche, if there were a prize for puns...

just wanted to mentoin that somebody saw and appreciated yours

r937.com | rudy.ca

[green]r937,

Thanks, Rudy.[/green]

[blue]______________________________________________________________
I love logging onto Tek-Tips. It's always so exciting to see what the hell I
said yesterday.
[/blue]

ON the wiki thing the PWA as alluded to by tgreer is definitely true, for now, but I have a feeling they will tighten up their moderation in the the near future to combat that.

I think Wikipedia is one of the greatest projects to hit this planet, and I wish them every success with it.

Compliments of your season to you and all of yours, from me and all of mine, and wishes of health and prosperity for the oncoming 365.25 day period

Regards
--Paul

Spend an hour a week on CPAN, helps cure all known programming ailments ;-)

Let me see if I properly understand this:

digerati = the elite of the computer nerds

-Brian-
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.

I think it's more like:

digerati = people who consider themselves the elite of the computer nerds.

It's an attempt to make themselves sound more elite and less nerd.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

I think it's interesting that in 30 replies, not a single person has claimed to be a member of the digerati. A number have claimed to NOT be a member.

Maybe it's like "hacker". If you claim to be one, you probably aren't. (or is that opening up a whole other thread?)

That's because in those 30+ replies, no one has clearly defined what the "Digerati" is (are ??) & what constitutes membership.

[Cheers]

You have to know the secret handshake to get into the meetings.

Digerati is new to me. Also - unlike Glitterati - it is not in the Oxford English Dictionary. There is digitalia, but that relates to foxglove extract. It is a piece of jargon and unlikely to stick, especially as the meaning is ambiguous.

Try a few friends or colleagues with one of those 'meaning' competition - digerati do a lot of digging, or are addicted to digitalis, or have very long fingers, or have a degree. This last is what I first took it to mean, and I doubt that I'm the only one.

If you want a sensible word for these characters, why not Neurocracy?

As for the Wikipedia, it does have some partisan articles, but so do other reference works, including the Encyclopedia Britannica. I've already detailed this at the Wikipedia itself, if you're interested. I've found it wise to always check several sources and never believe anything controversial unless it comes from at least two independent sources. But the Wikipedia is the best source for general reference.

------------------------------
An old man [tiger] who lives in the UK

I usually just call these people Ur-geeks...the geeks from whom all geekiness flow.
Happy New Year to all my Tek-Tipsyerati friends (and thanks, KenCunningham, for that one!) and best wishes for a prosperous and grammatically accurate 2006!
[peace]
Thanks!
Elanor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back