Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The differences between PCMCIA cards 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyman1

Technical User
Apr 5, 2006
US
I acquired an ACS Processor R3.0. It had a Remote Access PC Card. Does it have backup and up grade capabilites other than Remote Access? It only says Remote Access PC Card. On the back it is 108319963 12G1.

I purchased a Partner ACS Backup/Restore PC Card, I bought it to upgrade to R6.0, which it did. The person I purchased it from said it would upgrade only once to 6.0. He said if I mailed it back to him he would reload it to do an up grade one more time. Is this true? No model number on the back.

I am probably not going to give you the most technical answer, but here is what I know...

The card generally says what it is. Backup and restore is the least costly. If it says remote access, it automatically includes backup and restore. I only use remote access when I am working with DID because you have to pretty much make any changes from a PC and then upload them, and you need the remote access card for that function.

The upgrade card is a different animal. The one Avaya sells now is a one-time upgrade from an older version of ACS to R6. At one point in time they had a program called E-Flash, or something like that, that allowed a bus partner to purchase a "reusable" backup and restore file. Basically you purchased whatever PCMCIA card they recommended, and downloaded the software from an Avaya Bus Partner web site, and could use it up to 5 times. I may not have the exact details right, but that is close. I am not sure if the eflash is still going, since it has been forever since I read about it. Maybe someone else will have better info...D

The card I have says Remote Access PC Card. I checked it using procedure #124, as it turns out it has back up capability. I did not realize this until I removed it. I than got a backup failure message at Extention 10. You learn something every day.

Sounds like a one time upgrade card only and probably does not have back up ability. They used to sell lots of the release 2 and release 3 cards that were yellow at the time that did this one time upgade and then was useless. It could be a similar situation. If there was a way to format it, perhaps it could be used. Also, there is a little write protect switch on the side of most, but I doubt it will do anything.

The yellow upgrade cards can be used for backup also - Avaya just put a different label on the same AMD card.

Some vendors can load the one-time upgrades again on a used card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back