Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Decimal field's precision is too small... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonj

MIS
Jan 14, 2002
GB
The Decimal field's precision is too small to accept the numeric you attempted to add."

Access2002
Merant 4.0 ODBC connection to Progress 8.3E
MSjet4.0 ver 4.0.8015.0

I get the above error when trying run a select statement within some VBA. This error occurs during the select phase before writing to a file.

any clues...

Thanks for your help.

Hello,

I am running a query in Access and am getting the same error. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I have had this problem, and I don't know of any solution. The real issue is that if there are any errors, the entire SLQ statement gets killed.

The way around it I have found is to read one record at a time using VBA and ignoring bad ones.

Are you using and ODBC Data source?

Ascii dumb question, get a dumb Ansi

Yep

ODBC linked data source.

Currently reading the query result into a recordset for writing to a file. You may be right that there is some problem data in a field causing the query to collapse.

If like me, you are not able to correct the data, then using vba to read one record at a time is your only option.

That way, the query doesn't fail, just the bad record fails.

I used an on error trap to set the value to some wierd number like -9999 so I could at least identify which record was the cause.

ChaZ

Ascii dumb question, get a dumb Ansi

The problem is caused by the translation of the numeric field definition from FoxPro to Access. Say the decimal field is defined in Fox as 10 characters with 3 decimal places. Fox does not include the decimal point in the 10 characters. When Access reads the table it takes the 10 characters with 3 decimals, but the decimal is included in the 10 characters. So if a number in the table is, say, 9999999.999, Access will not accept the value because it expects a maximum value of 999999.999. I have worked around the problem by changing the field definition in Fox to 11 characters with 3 decimals, then Access accepts the data. This might not be a good solution if a form or report is maxed out for 10.3, so be careful.

If anybody has a better solution let us know.

I am also having the same problem after upgrading to AcuODBC 6.01. Previously if there was "invalid" data in a numeric field it would default to zero. Now it gives me an #Error and return this message. This is a major problem because our vendor has files with multiple record layouts in them and if I don't choose my fields carefully I get this error. Sounds like there isn't any solution just tedious work arounds. Still looking for a better solution if anyone else has ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back