Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The CRViewer and "A String is Required here"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kab555

Programmer
Jan 18, 2002
US
Hi,
I have an interestig problem. I am using CR8.5 & VB6. I have a reporting system that I have successfully deployed on about a dozzen PCs. All reports run fine on these PCs.

On one particular PC, I am receiving the error "A string is required here" from the CRViewer.

Is there something about WindowsXP and OfficeXP that may cause this error? Currently the reporting application is installed only on PCs with Widows and Office XP.

Thank you for your help (in advance)

Kristie

Usually that error is accompanied by a formula name. Is that the case with this error? It would give you, possibly, a hint as to what the problem might be. For example, if the formula is using on of the many dll's (apart from the runtime engine) that ship with Crystal, it's possible that a) the dll didn't get installed; b) the Windows XP user doesn't have rights to the folder where the dll was installed.

All I get is a pop up window titled "CRViewr" and the phrase "a string is required here". All this report does is collect a string (a policy number) that is entered into a VB text box. It then passes this value as a parameter to Crystal. That parameter is used within Crystal in the record selection formula.

I am wondering if there is a .dll or dependency that I may be missing, as this particular report runs successfully on many other PCs in the office here.

I have discovered a piece of information regarding the problem I am having. The PC where the CRViewer gives me the error is a laptop.

Don't know if that matters, though....

Kristie

I think you are right in thinking that there is a dll issue. Where did your app install the Crystal dll's? Can the user on the laptop see all the dll's that should have been installed by the app?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back