Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

the credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials

Status
Not open for further replies.

PcAbuser

Technical User
Dec 28, 2003
US
Hello,

I have searched and searched in here, and can not find my exact situation, and was hoping one of you could help.
I am on a home LAN with an XP pro and a 2000 pro machine.
I am trying to log into the XP machine from my 2000 laptop
and access the C$ administrative share.

I get an error of:
\\computername\c$ is inaccessable
the credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials

I am trying to log into it using the administrator account login.

This used to work perfectly up until fairly recently.
Nothing has changed other than windows updates have been running on auto as always.

Simple file sharing is turned off.

I would appreciate any help greatly.

Thank you all in advance,

Marlon

Have you changed passwords on either computer recently? Perhaps making sure the administrator password is the same on both computers (or whatever account you are using)?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Hi Matt, and thanks for answering.

I had reset the administrator account on the XP machine just to make sure.

The 2000 machine does not have an account on the XP machine, but when i type \\computername\c$ and hit enter, it gives me a login screen and I try to login as Administrator and use the password i set on it.

I used to do this all the time, but now it gives the error.

Thanks again,

Marlon

Best Regards,

Marlon

My personal credo:
Do well unto others, else you will, or at least should, not respect what you see in the mirror at the end of the day!

Sorry for the "Bump" but this forum is a busy one and this had gotten buried.

Do you have any other shares from the XP computer that are mapped on the 2000? Even if they are stale/not used, go to my computer on your 2000 laptop, right click on them, and disconnect them. If this isn't applicable, take a look in your system log of your event manager on your 2000 laptop, and tell me/us what event(s) are logged when you fail to authenticate with the XP box.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back