Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The computer not turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Currando

ISP
Feb 13, 2001
ES
Hello,

When i try turn on the computer i can´t arrive to the bios setup. I think that the problem is the motherboard.

Can anybody help me :)

If when you turn on the computer and you get some
noise coming from the fan or harddisk then the mother
board is not dead. If There is no sound at all from
anything or no activity in the hard disk then you
probably need a new fuse unit fot the PC.

There is a test to see if the mother board is ok. (that is
if you are getting some noise from the fan etc)
What to do is take out the RAM (make sure the PC's power supply
is plugged out first of course) and when you take out all
of the RAM thats there plug the PC back in and turn it on.
If the PC makes some beeping noises then the motherboard is not dead.
If it doesnt make a sound, then the motherboard is dead or
faulty.

If you are already getting beeping noises before you take
out the RAM, refer to the PC's manual/reference guide to
see what they mean, some times too long beeps followed by
a short beep might mean the video card is dead, which also
could be your problem...

If any of this doesnt work please provide some more detailed
information about the PC and what it is doing etc... Jay~
const_hole.gif

If its broken, just leave it and hope someone else fixs it!
~KeyTech

Hey there! I have a similar problem. I've been doing this kind of stuff for years (but been away from it) and I'm totally stumped. We got 2 new motherboards - Tyan Duron/Athelon, all the accessories and processors and stuff. Put #1 together, works great. Realized an existing case wouldn't work, got a new one. Nothing. Obvious bad switch, so we exchange it. Plug everything in, and when we turn the power on the keyboard lights flash, that's all. Exchange it for a different type. Same thing. Both motherboards work in case #1, neither in case #2. Case #2 has a fan that connects directly to the power supply, and even that doesn't come on. Tried a different outlet (wiring is 40 yrs old), tried a different power cord (even though this connection works for the old one). Any ideas PLEASE??
Thanks!!

double check settings jumpers,dip switches if any.make sure every thing is connected,seated properly.remove ram and reseat it.make sure ide cables and jumpers on drives are correct.reseat cpu also.hope this helps

AT or ATX? Not familiar with that M/B. If AT then M/B should process with nothing plugged except power. When you power up does fan twitch? Twitch indicates that PS has crowbared. If no twitch, disconnect power from M/b and see if fan comes up. But only keep power on momentarily. Then check for wiring, color codes first, then voltage measurements. Sounds like definite P/S problem but it could also be something shorting or grounding with M/B power connected that wouldn't otherwise show up. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back