Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The computer is in use and has been locked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dineen

Programmer
Jun 20, 2001
US
"The Computer is in use and has been Locked" ???

I have fast user switching enabled, however this is all of a sudden happening. Now we can't use fast user switching - we haven't changed any settings that I"m aware of - and I"m not sure how to shut this off...any ideas??

Thanks!
Dineen

(using XP Home)

Is someone running the desktop remotely? I know you get this when someone is taking over the desktop via Remote Desktop Sharing. James Collins
Hardware Engineer
A+ Certified Professional
Network+ Certified Professional
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft Certified System Administrator
(What does all that jargon below my name mean? I dont know I am still trying to figure it out!)

Maybe...not sure - we have all our computers networked here at the house so maybe one of the kids do? How could I disable this (if i can) or how can i see if that is happening?

Thanks!

I'll give a second vote for RD. To disable it, right click on My Computer, Properties, Remote tab, in the remote desktop section uncheck 'Allow users to remotely connect...'

:( it WAS unchecked. hmmm.... My computer hates me ;)

Even though it's for Win2000, this article mentions a problem when the screensaver is set to a non existent screensaver program or a corrupt screensaver file. It might be worth a shot.

Alternatively, how long has this been happening? You could try a System Restore back to a time before it started.

You may need to remove your screensaver password protection. Right click on the desktop background, properties, screensaver, and uncheck On resume, password protect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back